1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Real Dilemma

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tjrr, Sep 6, 2012.

1. tjrr

tjrr New commenter

Hi all Jobseekers

I don't even know how to start this now... I've basically completed my PGCE last ac. year and simply can't find a job because my subject is being replaced with another in sec. schools now. I know I haven't got much more time left to find that all important NQT post to complete my training which is why I'm panicking.So I started applying for jobs in Germany to teach English instead, however, my PGCE would only be partly recognised there and I would kind of have to start training again. Now, I found a one year post in Germany which might be great in terms of experience etc. but it would mean having to move the family, including kids, too, for one year! I'm so upset and confused about the whole situation. Should I just go for it? After all, we had planned to go to Germany next year (after my NQT) anyway. Or should i sit it out and try to find a NQT position, knowing that I have the slightest chance?
    Has anyone been in a similar position or do you know someone who had to make a difficult decision along these lines?

2. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

If you want to go to Germany in the long run anyway, I suppose you could always establish yourself work wise this year over there, even if this is hard in terms of family.

What subject exactly have you had 'replaced?' Technically a Head can direct you to teach ANYTHING, the upshot of this is theoretically you could apply for any subject surely! How difficult must teaching geography at KS3 be anyway? (Sorry to any geography teachers, just an example!)