1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ready to leave teaching, unsure of next step.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by abbies95, Sep 19, 2018.

1. abbies95

abbies95 New commenter

Hi, I've just started my third year of teaching however I have decided (after months of thinking about it) that teaching is not the job for me. I enjoy working with kids and I do enjoy teaching but I hate everything else that comes with it and I feel that something is missing. I have decided that this will be my last year of teaching.

I am really interested in pastoral/child protection/emotional well-being and I feel that as a teacher, I am not able to play this role as often as I would like, therefore I would like to pursue a non-teaching career in this role. There have been many tears over the last couple of days and although I have made the big decision at the age of 23 to leave, I'm still not 100% sure of my next move. I just know that it's not teaching. I have expressed my decision to my head and she has been incredibly supportive and has suggested that I need to have a good think about what I want to do next. I have decided that I am going to continue teaching this academic year and keep looking at jobs in the meantime to get an idea of what I might want to do.

I am aware that there is a pay difference between pastoral and teaching however I just want to find a role that I am going to be happy with. I have a degree in Psychology but I am hesitant to go back to uni and do any kind of postgraduate courses as I would like to stay in employment as I am currently saving for a house. Ideally, I would like to go into pastoral care but I would just like some advice if possible about what my next steps should be.

2. J.M.Powell

J.M.Powell New commenter

Plenty of schools have TAs who look after pastoral issues, so that's an obvious option. Some schools take on a pupil premium champion-that could work for you too.

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

must be worth going back to talk to the university staff, also your SENCO. EdPsych sounds a possible route I would have thought.

4. cazp123

cazp123 New commenter

Try www.versatile-recruitment.co.uk - They work with Ex teachers, police and army to find new jobs/careers. I used to teach and now work in sales directly with Gov sector so still work with schools!

5. Kswaz

Kswaz New commenter

I realise my reply is not advice but this sounds so much like me! I too am in my third year and would really like to go down the pastoral route.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2019