1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ready steady cook.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by grumbleweed, Mar 19, 2020.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hi. I've posted this here as well on recommendation.

We took advantage of the over 70 shop at sainsbury today. It was packed! . (Mr gw is over 70)
    I really felt for the older people who had come out to shop, but there was virtually nothing to buy.

So my plea is for help for people who have random stuff because that's all they could get, but aren't great cooks.

The only fruit and veg in the shop was banana, courgettes and cucumber, and some bags of salad. Nothing else.
    What can I make out of that? I have some leeks and spinach in the garden and some staples like eggs, flour, rice and pasta. Can't get milk or yeast for love nor money, but I like soya!

I don't know when a. I can get out again. B. There is stock. So I need a few options of what I can do with said ingredients.please.

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Courgette soup is nice.

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Think this is a great idea for a thread! There might well be times in the immediate future when people have random assortments of things that need using up.

- A chunky sauce made with cubed courgettes, fried until they break down, is a great sauce for pasta
    - Leeks cooked down until they are silky and smooth are also good tossed through pasta.
    - A vegetarian style carbonara, using courgette instead of bacon
    - A rice pilaf using any or all of those veg
    - A curry of courgettes, leeks and spinach
    - A 'Woolton' pie!
    - A banana loaf
    - Carmelised bananas

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Lets all give some tips and ideas not only to grumbleweed but all of us!
    As the weeks drag on (I don't want to say months!) we shall all be working our culinary magic on random ingredients!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Courgette fritters - grated, bit of chopped onion or a leek seasoned, bound with flour and egg and fried.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Courgette linguini assuming you have pasta...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. tujeste

tujeste New commenter

Courgette Neapolitana

COURGETTE NEAPOLITAN
    2 med. courgettes, sliced & floured
    olive oil
    some grated cheese (100g?)(cheddar or parmesan)
    1 tin.chopped tomato

Coat courgettes with flour. In a large skillet, heat oil and saute the courgettes slices until lightly brown on both sides. Arrange one third of the slices in a shallow oiled baking dish. Sprinkle with one third of the grated cheese and sauce. Repeat to make two more layers with sauce and cheese on top. Bake in oven at 180C for about 20 minutes until lightly browned and bubbling. If you have some bacon you could put a rasher or two on top

8. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Yes this is what I was thinking, I'm sure I won't be alone in the random ingredient group.

I shall enjoy the ideas shared, Thankyou.
    When I lived in Africa, I survived on rice and peas for 6 months, with an occasional jar of peanut butter and an occasional mushroom.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Sardine ragu/bolognese

Kinda winged it but it's hardly rocket science. This was enough for two. You could cook it for longer as you might with a real bol, but with the quantity we had for two, that wasn't really possible.

In a wide frying/saute pan, soften a chopped onion, a couple of diced celery stalks, a chopped red chilli , some thyme leaves and a couple of cloves of garlic, in olive oil with salt and pepper. Throw in a slug of white wine and reduce. Add half a tin of tomatoes and cook until the veg is soft and the sauce has thickened. Then add a couple of tins of sardines in olive oil, complete with the oil. Break up with a spoon and continue to cook until they've totally broken down into the sauce. Meanwhile, cook your pasta (we used linguine), letting the sauce down with a little of the pasta water if it gets too thick, and then adding a bunch of chopped basil right at the end. I drained the pasta and tossed it through the sauce with a little of the cooking water and some ex v olive oil but you could serve it British style on the top if you want! We didn't add parmesan as we felt it would have clashed with the oily fish and it was strongly flavoured as it was.

Obviously make do with any substitutes you need to!

primarycat likes this.