1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by madenglishgirl, Jul 4, 2011.

1. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

Hello...I'm hoping I might be able to get a bit of advice (first post, over here, so be gentle!)
    I have a 3 year old (39 months) who is reading - and it's a bit scary if the truth be told. When I say 'reading' I'm not saying that in a way a parent will say their offspring can 'read' when actually they are just recognising words, she really is reading and scarily, the comprehension is there as well. In fact, she is sat next to me write now having a bloomin' good go at reading everything I've just typed....very annoying!
    So my question is, are there any books anyone could recommend starting with? Are there any 'approved' books? I have in mind the Roger Red Hat books of my youth...

2. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I like the Read Write books and used them with a boy in my class this year who came in as a fluent reader. I found that much of what he was reading was by sight and he wasn't understanding the more complex alphabetic code. These books are good because they have a section at the front with graphemes and some words to decode before you start the story itself.

3. K.Wellborne

K.Wellborne New commenter

Quite a lot of primary schools in my area do the Oxford Reading Tree ( Biff Chip and Kipper books) Have a look in charity shops ( lots of encouraging parents buy them for their children then pass on when they're done) or book clubs like the BOOK People, they often sell sets a discount prices. Songbirds also do a range ( you can buy them at Waterstones). Enjoy!
    Karoline

4. And lots of mothers on mumsnet.com complain about those books being excruciatingly boring.
    Any child who can learn to read without having to plough through those is very fortunate.
    Let's not forget that millions of children learned to read before any such book was ever written.

5. I agree![​IMG]

6. So true these books can really demotive young proficient readers! Keep to real books in the library!

7. Boring for whom? The mothers or the children?
    Though I do agree, there is far better children's literature than Biff and Chip around.
    Just be careful to check now and then that your daughter is reading words, not guessing them and remember that she will need phonics for spelling.

8. madenglishgirl

Well we've already got a heap of Kipper and Spot books and she LOVES Kipper, so all's good there [​IMG] We do spelling 'games' already at home (mainly her spelling out words like 'need' and then we take turns to swap letters in and out to make new words) so I'll keep up with her phonics.

9. My Daughter was an early reader and despite the school saying they knew this she was still in a group with no readers. She has loved reading the ORT Biff and Chip stories even though at home she can read novels. Although she does still love CBeebies and loves watching the Preschool shows not into movies - she is 7 in a couple of weeks. I would both as a parent and teacher suggest you steer clear of Oxford Reading Tree or any of the school based schemes as you want her to enjoy them at school (shje will find them easy by then but the characters are fab whatever other folk are saying). I fro one am glad she was a reader before starting school - at school there are so many other routines and rules particularly things like friendships and only going to the loo when theres time and eating quickly and being neat when doing work etc mine has flourished at school and hasn't been bored.

The Book People have lots of sets of books. My daughters like to get sets they both look to see what other books they can collect. The Little Princess Books are great. My 2 year old is a Maisy Mouse and Dora FanMany picture books may be simple to read but they still love them. The Hairy Maclairy and Elmer books are supe the Dora Exploprer books aree good to read from 3-6 approx. At 4.5 I started reading the Rainbow Magic novels to my daughter they are very formulaic anbd theyre are sooo many 7 books per series but she has loved these and it left hera chance to read some of the simpler picture books to herself too. The Leapfrog Collection of Readers are on Book People website just now these are teh ones that my Daughter got out from the library and still does simple and fun.

10. madenglishgirl

Thank you for this!
    This is pretty much how I feel about it - I was an early reader too and can remember being at school and doing the approved reading scheme (Billy Blue Hat et al) and enjoying the stories but finding it really easy. When I was 7 I was reading Tom Sawyer at home and reading something easy at school - didn't do me any harm though! I am sure that she will get so much more from being at school...already I am seeing the social benefits. We have no other children in my extended family, so social interactions with other children have been a bit minimal. Obviously I did my best by going to toddler groups with her whilst not working, but at least since then she has had a fantastic childminder who has been worth her weight in gold [​IMG]
    I will check out the book suggestions at the library on Saturday...our weekly pilgrimage!

11. madenglishgirl

Just to give a brief update...I am astounded that over the summer holiday (and with practically no intervention from myself) my girl has taught herself to read. She is also storming through KS1 English workbooks (she insisted on buying them with her pocket money) and will quite happily sit there and read the instructions to herself and then fill in the missing letters etc. Books wise, she is reading whatever she can get her hands on - Kipper books are "too easy", but we have found some good story books at the library.
    I have got a meeting at her nursery on Friday to discuss the way forward now.