1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading workshop for parents-Upper KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by aloha, Dec 31, 2011.

1. aloha

aloha New commenter

Hi
    I need to organise a parent workshop on Reading for Years 5 and 6 -will mainly be on inference and deduction. Bearing in mind that it will probably be the most able children's parents that turn up, I am looking for inspiration!! Any ideas on how to make this interactive and engaging greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What's the purpose of the evening? If mainly parents of the more able turn up, will they be mainly more interested in seeing their own children do well in the tests, in which case that would be your focus.
    Or is it to introduce some strategies which you'd like parents to pursue with their children? In which case I suggest you also produce a leaflet for parents who can't attend.

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

If you want parents to appreciate what is expected of the children then you could give them an old SATs reading paper and let them try it out for themselves and then discuss strategies they could use to support their children.
    Carrie [​IMG]

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think I would leave SATS out of it altogether.

I'd probably give them a passage from a book to read, a level 5 sort of passage. Then ask some higher order questions and ask them to discuss the answers on their tables (assuming for a workshop they are at tables) and feedback. Give ideas for the sort of answers we would be looking for. Then give them the next part of the book they had already read and ask them to work together to come up with some excellent, similar, questions they might ask their child when reading with them at home. Get the various tables to share their questions and have someone typing them up as you go to print out immediately for parents to take home with them.

Then maybe have some tables around the edge of the hall (assuming that is where you hold the workshop in another classroom if not) with some practical or arty activities that relate to the passages read. So some body outlines for character descriptions, a storyboard, etc, etc. Allow parents to choose a table to work at and complete an activity before coming back to the middle to 'show off' their work.

Then get parents to discuss what they have learnt and what they feel they can now do at home when reading with their children that they wouldn't have thought of before.

5. aloha

aloha New commenter

Thank you-some excellent ideas here. I really like the idea of the parents answering questions and then thinking for themselves. Too often we get parents saying the books are too easy and seem only to think that id the child can read the the words then all is well. This sort of exercise should give them food for thought.

Thank you
    x

6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

The other thing that I suspect many interested parents would find useful is advice on reading material. I get the impression that there's a lot of stuff aimed at teens that parents might not be happy with a 10 year old reading, and some parents are eager for suggestions. A display of books and other reading material which parents can browse would probably go down very well - and perhaps you could have a board and post-its for "my child enjoys...", so they can add their own suggestions.