1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading tests for assessing without levels

Discussion in 'Primary' started by talulabell, Jun 14, 2015.

1. talulabell

talulabell New commenter

I just wondered if anyone has found any tests to use to assess the new curriculum at all please

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We use PIRA across the school.

3. talulabell

talulabell New commenter

Thank you i will have a loo. Does it say where they are within the year group expectations? Are the reading tests accurate?

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

It provides you with a percentile score for their age together with a reading age score. The bumpf says they are accurate but who knows, how can you tell! But it does mean we can check progress and we use this, together with end of year objectives as a tracker

5. We have used Rising Stars. Im not sure how accurate I would say they are as I have chn with reading age of 10+ (in Year 3) who achieved L4 on QCA optional tests and they came out as below and working towards expected levels.

6. vannie

vannie Star commenter

We use Rising stars also. I am in Year 1 and I find that they are a bit generous at that level but colleagues have said that as you move through the year groups they are very tough.

7. I thought it was quite tough, the mark scheme is quite restrictive and on the maths there was questions on things from y4 objectives!

8. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Agree on the maths. Was talking about the reading. The maths is sooo hard!