1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading Test

Discussion in 'English' started by katykook, May 1, 2012.

1. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

I teach in a secondary PRU and we have to baseline test pupils who come in throughout the year. Testing for writing and speaking and listening is straightforward, but we can't find a reading test which will give us a level rather than reading age. Does anyone have any ideas please?

2. katykook

I teach in a secondary PRU and we have to baseline test pupils who come in throughout the year. Testing for writing and speaking and listening is straightforward, but we can't find a reading test which will give us a level rather than reading age. Does anyone have any ideas please?

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Functional Skills Reading papers? GCSE Reading paper for KS4?

4. katykook

Thanks, but these are mostly KS 3 pupils. I should add that they are not keen on reading long texts and some have ADHD or issues with concentrating for long periods of time. We tried GOAL online but were not convinced. A comprehension which covers the AFs would be good.

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

The Functional Skills papers would be suitable but you would have to come up with a formula for converting raw scores to levels.

6. gloucesterroad

gloucesterroad New commenter

Though now defunct, there are APP tests which are effectively that. I know that there is a great one on an extract from the Red Room and another one on Private Peaceful available online (not sure if here or Teachit), both of which we use in Y7 to track their progress from initial assessment in Week 1 to the summer exam.

These are based on extracts and they fill in the boxes which have questions for each of the AFs. They make levelling super easy..

7. katykook

Thanks that sounds great, I'll check it out.

8. diamond_raindrops

diamond_raindrops New commenter