1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading system for secondary school

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by readingsez78, May 11, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I work in a large comp with a significant number of students reading and understanding well below their chronological age. We have a whole host of literacy and reading intervention but in main stream students are not taught specifically how to read.
    We are just in the early planning stages of a new whole school curriculum and we are devising personalised pathways and personalised literacy provision across the school. This will result in the need for a whole school approach to the teaching of and monitoring of reading skills. Does anyone know of a successful approach to teaching reading across all aubject areas for students aged 11-16?
    We use Miskin in SEN but I work in a very challenging school and some of the students I nned to address are Y9 and very tough individuals. I'm afraid that Miskin will come across as too Primary school and therefore turn them off even more.
    DOes anyone have any words of wisdom?

2. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Please pick up a PM to you on the topic!