1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading schemes

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mda23, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Which reading schemes do you use in your school (and have found most successful?)
    Ive been told I have to go back to using Oxford Reading Tree for this year and just wondering your thoughts on this scheme as I've never used it fully before.
    Do your children like it? How did you introduce it? Is it successful?

Any advice would be lovely!

2. We use ORT. I like it and the chn like the books. It starts with books with no text and very gradually builds skills. We supplement it with other books just to add variety (and other types of text - non fiction, poetry). I like the way they introduce history topics in the stories like the Egyptians and Victorians - later on though.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It really depends if it is the original ORT or the new. The original is a look and say scheme and relies on children memorising and guessing a high percentage of words so obviously doesn't match current teaching methods.
    It's OK once children are able to read but not the best option for EYs

4. Dandelion launchers available from matched funding, then transfer onto red level ORT works well for us.

5. Msz

There are lots of good schemes available on matched funding personally I wouldn't introduce ORT until gold band

6. Its the new scheme thankfully - I know what you mean about the old one.
    HT wants it used across both Reception classes as it is used widely throughout school.

Ucan2 - I would be interested in finding out how you introduce it in your school if you know....are the children just straight into having the books or do you do focus activities introducing them to the characters in the stories?
    Thanks

7. Surely the issue isn't just about which 'scheme' the books are - but whether the books for the young beginners are cumulative and decodable to enable them to read books themselves by applying their alphabetic code knowledge.
    Also, liaising with parents, making it clear to them that we cannot expect beginners to read books 'independently' when they don't know the code within the books - therefore the parents need to be aware of how they can support reading activities at home.
    If schools send home books which are based on repetitive and predictable text as if they are the 'child's' book to read INDEPENDENTLY, then inevitably there are going to be difficulties arising dependent on the child's capacity to read this type of book.
    And inevitably there will be tensions in at least some homes and for some children who feel that they are failing to read their 'own' reading book.
    But repetitive and predictable books with guidance to the parents about how to support their children could mean that any type of book will be enjoyed to the full.

8. The majority of our class have older siblings and are already familiar with the texts. We just use the no text books to introduce -straight away. We h ave lots of the old and some of the new so it really is not ideal. What is matched funding?

9. Msz

The government will provide up to £3K to purchase approved books, resources and training but the school must "match" the ammount. So in theory if the school has a spare £3000 you could have £6000 worth of materials.

10. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I have a mixture of Dandelion Launchers, Dandelion Readers, the new ORT (Floppy's Phonics etc) and Read Write. If you haven't heard of phonics match funding, you need to do a quick google and get onto it, otherwise you will miss out (you have to claim by Easter).