1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

reading schemes

Discussion in 'Primary' started by crazycatlady101, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Hi, I am in Year 1 and need some new reading books for the very low ability - reds and pinks.
    We already have Collins Big Cat, Rigby Rising Stars, ORT, Project X and OLW. Any suggestions for other reading schemes we can look at?
    These are the children who have been on pink and red level since reception and still can't read the books, but they are so familiar with the books that they can read it from memory. We change "going home books" 3 times a week so we need a wide range of books.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Songbirds, Ragtag rhymes, Rapid Readers

3. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

We also have PM books and they have a large range starting with alphabet sounds, blends, non-fiction and fiction.

However, can I ask do you think that you just need a wider range or is some need not being met for these children?

4. Can I just ask what PM are?
    I am trying everything I know to get these kids reading more, but some struggle to remember what the different letters are and some just can't put the sounds together. I know they'll get there at the end of the year but I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall at the moment! [​IMG]

5. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

They are also a banded book scheme, published by Nelson Thornes I think.

They also make the benchmarking kit. (But different titles in that)

6. Msz

Progress and Meaning (NelsonThornes) - look and guess from the picture

7. Phonic books that back up Letters and Sounds? eg Songbirds, Big Cat Phonics, Floppy's phonics, Bug Club phonics etc etc.

8. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I don't agree that they are look and guess books. We have found these books are quite good for children who need to move through the levels at a slower and steady pace as there are steps within the colour bands for PM.

You might like to get in touch with a rep and see if you can get some samples to try.

9. Msz

I've seen them tried them and recycled them

10. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

We have a good assortment of phonic decodable books now as our school readers where children use these before going on to stage 3 of the Oxford Reading tree (Biff/ chip scheme). There are some lovely books available especially the phonic information books which are very popular with some of our children. Sometimes you have to have a wide selection at the same level especially for those children making slow progress and we seem to have a good balance of readers to suit all abilities now. below are a sample of the different books we have and would recommend all of these
    Jelly and Bean
    http://www.follifootfarm.co.uk/books-1/1-follifoot-first-words-series.html

Dandelion readers
    http://www.smartkids2.co.uk/ieshop/index.php?target=products&product_id=766
    and here
    http://www.phonicbooks.co.uk/
    Ruth Miskin
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Read-Write-Inc-Phonics-Storybooks/dp/0198462530/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1295042681&sr=8-4

songbird
    http://www.focusonphonics.co.uk/acatalog/Oxford_Reading_Tree_-_Songbirds.html

Bluebell

11. Thanks everyone. I'll pass the list to KS1 phase leader and ask her to persue further.[​IMG]

12. Do any schools use just purely Oxford Reading tree in KS1? If so does anyone know what stage an age related child should be on roughly in Year 1 and Year 2?

13. Have you looked at Bug Club? Try www.bugclub.co.uk. You'll find lots more red and pinks levels there.
    Hope this helps.

14. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Response to MMC, the OUP catalogue shows the following:

Stage 1: 3.5 to 4.5 years
    Stage 1+ and stage 2: 4.5 to 5 years
    Stages 3 and 4: 5 to 5.5 years
    Stage 5: 5.5 to 6 years
    Stage 6: 6 to 6.6 years
    Stage 7: 6.5 to 7 years
    Stage 8: 7 to 7.5 years
    Stage 9: 7.5 to 8 years
    You do have to bear in mind though that ORT stages are not the same as the coloured bookbands - for example a stage 5 ORT book could be quite easy or quite difficult. For some reason only know to themselves, ORT has built in a huge range of difficulty into one stage.

15. mystery10

Crazycat lady, why were these children given these books in reception if they couldn't "read" i.e. work out for themselves what a simple word like r-a-t says?
    I am sorry I may not give you good advice as I am not a reading teacher, but I have done a significant element of teaching my own children to read, and volunteered with quite a wide variety of abilities in school.
    My thoughts are:
    if these children can work out what some nonsense CVC words say, (assuming they know the relevant single letter sounds) they are ready to make some visible progress with reading. But it doesn't have to be books yet. If they are still struggling with pink and red books in Year 1 they need some good help right now to be able to work more independently across the curriculum by Year 2 eg. to read a worded maths problem and answer it.
    If you have computers and headphones and web access in your classroom have you tried them on the free Starfall website? Depending on what they already know / can do, you could choose appropriate exercises for them to do.
    Also, the Jollyphonics CD-rom is very good if your school could purchase it.
    You need to build up on their phonic knowledge, and consigning whole words (especially the first 100 high frequency words) to long term memory, so that the whole process becomes faster and easier for them. Also they need material that interests them. I can't imagine them or their parents getting excited about a pink or red book in any reading scheme, particularly if they are old rather than young for the year - e.g. if they are already 6.5 years old, those books hold no interest.
    Do you know approx where they are in terms of Letters and Sounds phases for example - both phonic sounds and high frequency words?
    The Read Write inc books are good ......... but it sounds as though they might even find the easiest ones of these heavy going, and the material is not that interesting in the early books I don't feel.
    You might almost be better photocopying some much higher level books e.g. a Floppy Phonics level 4 (if you can do this without being shot) and highlighting the words the child could reasonably aspire to reading (high frequency words they need to learn, decodable words with sounds in they already know) and getting them to share the reading with an adult. They read the highlighted words, the adult reads the others. Then for the harder words the adult makes a game of asking them to find the word on the page, and then sound it out, until eventually they can read the whole book.Then they can move on to other books on that level with less help.
    I know everybody sniffs at it, but the Ladybird Peter and Jane series is cheap, and useful to intersperse between other reading matter. It really is a good way to learn high frequency words within the context of books, and as there are no bookbands or stage numbers on these books, and they're hardback real looking books, the kids might be chuffed with them for a short while. But it certainly gets tedious just chugging your way through on a diet of those alone.
    If the parents are reasonably literate and helpful, you could give them a list of words the child can already read or decode and see if they can write something about their child using mostly those words, or a letter to the child etc etc. You can type it up at school. Parent posts it to child, and it's very exciting for the child to get something in the post either about them, or from their parent, that they can have a good bash at reading.
    Another trick is to get the child to choose from a box of books of slightly higher level than currently. Ask them to choose something they really want to learn to read. Then make word lists in some kind of helpful order that they learn at home with parents, and then they read the book once they have approximately mastered the word lists.
    The Toe by Toe book might suit some of these children - early stages only - if a parent follows the instructions to the letter at home, and does 10 minutes at home each day with the child, it may make up for lost ground at school on phonic sounds and blending, and speed them up. It is designed for dyslexics but can be used incredibly successfully by a wide range of people learning to read from the very young to adult - look at the reviews on Amazon.
    I'm a secondary teacher, not literacy, so sorry if some of my view are out of place, but I think that the worst thing you could do for these children is sit them together for some sort of guided reading where they all try and take it in turns to read out loud to one another from cold. If you must do this kind of take it in turns reading, then make sure they are each reading something they have already prepared. They learn nothing but bad habits and boredom from listening to other dreadful readers. I would never want to join an orchestra of the right standard for my violin playing as I really would not want to listen to other dreadful players of a similar standard. And it would not help my playing either. Reading is similar.
    My final thought is that whatever you do to significantly increase the amount of time they spend on reading related activities each day will help. And I mean SIGNIFICANTLY. If others have got so much further on the same time, or less time even, just think how much time they need reading to make up the gulf that has already built up, allowing for their much slower progress. Practise, practise, practice makes perfect.You may have to cut away time from other curriculum areas to make this possible, but surely moving on with reading has to be a priority at this age otherwise so much valuable learning in other subjects will ultimately be missed.
    Do you have a TA?

16. If the children are struggling around the lower levels of reading books, do they still need a systematic teaching programme in addition to the reading books?

17. mystery10

Reading between the lines, it does sound as though that might be the case. But how does a class teacher do that "on their own" when all the other kids have bypassed their particular stage, and there isn't a wholeschool initiative with lots of groups at different levels into which to slot the kids into an appropraite one. The answer presumably is a skilled TA devoted to them for a significant period each day, if available? Or train some volunteers extremely well?