1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading schemes for PMLD pupils at KS3/4 working at P4 onwards (like ORT stage 1 but NOT ORT)

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by lymesyoga, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am head of Literacy in a special school amd am looking for a reading scheme for our PMLD pupils in KS3 and KS4 who are working at P4 - P8. I am looking for something similar to Oxford Reading Tree but as we use this in Primary we need progression plus its not age appropiate. I have Wellington Square, but that does not meet our pupils needs at P4 - P6, we have some Ginn books but they are not age appropiate either. Can anyone suggest anything for me?
    Thanks[​IMG]

2. Hi
    I am head of Literacy in a special school amd am looking for a reading scheme for our PMLD pupils in KS3 and KS4 who are working at P4 - P8. I am looking for something similar to Oxford Reading Tree but as we use this in Primary we need progression plus its not age appropiate. I have Wellington Square, but that does not meet our pupils needs at P4 - P6, we have some Ginn books but they are not age appropiate either. Can anyone suggest anything for me?
    Thanks[​IMG]

3. Hi,
    PMLD as I understand it refers to pupils working at p levels 1 - 3. P4-8 would be more SLD I would have thought. Sorry I don;t have any helpful suggestions about reading schemes though. Good luck.
    Sylviee

4. R13

R13 New commenter

Any 'reading' scheme is inappropriate for those with PMLD as written word inaccessible
    Sensory stories and bag books etc. is the way to go with such children to access this area of the curriculum

5. thanks for the help.[​IMG]

6. How bizarre - I was actually about to post about reading schemes and I logged on to already find this post.
    Our school is currently looking into developing a more reliable and effective reading scheme. The school runs from early years to secondary level and the children are on p levels. Obviously the reading scheme will be aimed at pupils working on p4/5 and above. Currently classes are using a mixture of different schemes and we really need more of a structure to support the pupils throughout the school.
    I have been looking at Oxford Reading Tree and just wondered what people would recommend? My head is spinning with how or where to start - the teaching of phonics - what books to buy - is it age appropriate...etc...
    It almost feels like very little actually meets the needs of our pupils so would love to hear what other people think or have tried and tested. Also how are schools recording the effectiveness of reading schemes and the progress that pupils are making?
    I have been looking into Downs Ed also as they have packs you can download or buy - has anyone used these or found it useful?
    This probably seems like the million dollar question but would really enjoy hearing other people's views.
    THANK YOU

7. In view of r13's post, just what is the likelihood of PMLD children reading? Is OP talking about children who can already read (in the meaningful sense of the word i.e. read with understanding)?

I am just curious; I have nothing to add to discussion of the topic!

8. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Hi
    You could try the Dancing Bears reading scheme, if you google this it will give you the information you require to see if it is what you are looking for.

9. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

<font size="2">Working with pupils with SLD (P4 - P8) teaching reading is difficult but definitely worth trying. </font><font size="2">I use phonics (until year 9, after that if it's really not taken off I rethink how valid it is for the individual... I have been surprised many times during year 9 when, after 2 and a bit years intense systematic teaching the penny really drops and the pupil is away, but after year 9 if the pupil is still not tuned in I have rarely had success) I also use "look say" for some basic vocabulary. I know it's controversial, but sometimes it's all our pupils will learn and it does help their confidence. </font><font size="2">As for reading schemes&hellip; I agree Oxford reading Tree is too young for KS3 and 4. I do use the early stages of Welly Square with some success&hellip; The black line masters from the teachers manual that have words to fit to the pictures are particularly good&hellip; BUT I have simplified the text and added symbols so the pupils make their own books matching symboled sentences to the relevant pictures.</font> I also use the now out of print Read On and Read On Plus. My sets are now depleted and so I&rsquo;m looking at the new &ldquo;Dockside&rdquo; that has just been published by Rising Stars. There current schemes are good but start far too high (reading age of 5 or 6) This new one is phonic, simple and aimed at older beginning readers. I am quite hopeful from what I&rsquo;ve see so far but I&rsquo;ve not seen the full scheme as it&rsquo;s only just been released.

10. I use at lot of Downs Ed resources and found them really useful, however it does focus very much on sight reading. Im not sure if you want something more phonics based? If you wanted to start with sight voc, see and learn supported by Downs Ed seems very good, and I have had a lot of success with. I currently use this in conjunction with ORT both on the computer and and in book form. A lot of the Downs Ed resources are available to download, although takes a lot of time to put them together may be useful to see if its what your after.

11. What about Wolf Hill levels 1- 5 (6 books in each level) published by the same folk who do Oxf.R.tree? They look like chapter novels but the more astute kids recognize the ORT-type illustrations.
    PM readers are good.The programme has assessment sheets (miscue analysis) where
    you can place the kids at the right level. These books tend to be a bit young but they are
    well thought out.
    Some catalogues publish resources like 'Whizz Kids" - photopiable booklets.e.g. Easylearn, Crossbow, Learning Materials.
    ICT resources can offer talking books which can be worth their weight in gold as they are 'real' books.
    Not sure this is what you're looking for.

12. Thanks for all the replies - have just realised I put PMLD when I meant SLD (to many thoughts in my head at one time I think!) Although our pupils are not 'reading' at P4, P5 we use the books as a 'scaffold' for sensory stories, role play, drama, group working ect and then for our more able pupils they are reading from the books. We obviously use many other books too but sometimes a scheme type book is good for progression. The problem seems to be in finding material which is appropiate for the pupils needs and also age appriopiate!

13. dzil

I know what you are going through re age and ability appropriate reading books. I work in a very similar setting to you with KS3 and 4 PMLD and SLD pupils. There really is nothing out there. The Wolf Hill books are OK but their early stages are for those with a reading age of around 7 - 11. There are several more age acceptable readers for those with a RA of 6 and over.
    I have also found the "ORT" format a major disavantage. The more "street wise" pupils reject anything they have met in primary school by year 9 (and they are usually the ones that are making good progress in reading by that stage.) I've also found Whizz Kids and PM rejected by the pupils as far to infantile by most pupils apart from the less mature of the year 7s.
    You need something for absolute beginners.
    Dockside by Rising Stars is looking good (designed for older beginners, starts with very few words and is phonic)
    http://www.risingstars-uk.com/series/dockside/
    I'm beginning to think it is the only choice other than my current method of writing my own individual books, which is time consuming and doesn't really follow a good developmental pattern due to time constraints. Nothing else seems to fill this gap. I'd lovebe proved wrong though.... choice would be so good!

14. 'Dockside by Rising Stars is looking good (designed for older beginners, starts with very few words and is phonic)'
    Dockside wrongly claims to be &lsquo;the only phonic reading scheme specially designed for older learners&rsquo; and, though described as 'taking a synthetic approach as a start', this is at heart a non-systematic, multi-cueing reading scheme with emphasis on the memorisation of the HFW and 'strong picture cues'.
    Have a look at www.phonicbooks.co.uk Talisman and Totem readers -the Totem books start at CVC level.

15. dzil

<font size="3">Thank you for the link again Susan. I did notice it in post 3. I have already looked at the series myself with a view to using it with my KS3 and 4 beginning readers (note they are beginners not catch up or reluctant)&hellip; these pupils have severe learning difficulties and have usually not been ready to begin a reading scheme until they reach secondary school. Talisman and Totem are NOT designed specifically for older beginning readers, although two add-on series have been designed for older <u>reluctant</u> and <u>catch up</u> readers. </font>
    <font size="3">The Totem and Talisman series look acceptable. The first Totem book covers CVC and CVCC ! In 12 books the series cover stages 2 to 5 of letters and sounds. This is far too fast for a beginning reader with SLD, although it may be sufficient for a mainstream catch up reader. </font>

16. Hi! I am Tami Reis-Frankfort and I wrote the stories for the Totem and Talisman series. I am also a practising SpLD teacher as the Bloomfield Learning Centre in London. This is where the books were developed. I think it is fair to say that the progression in the series is fast. Mostly our older pupils struggling with literacy are in mainstream schools and the books were created as an accelarated programme to help them. Many of them have the reading age of 6. With the proper intervention they succeed using the Totem and Talisman series.
    <u>But</u> we also have pupils with MLD difficulties and we use the books with them too, but at a very slow pace. All our pupils need to secure blending and segmenting and phoneme manipulation skills before they read each book. There are a variety of activities in the workbook which develop these essential reading skills. We never get to the reading bit before until we have practised these skills. The rate of progress depends on the pupil. I also use the comprehension reading activities which are based on the stories and are in themselves like reading more texts at the level of the reader. Often the pupils may read only a page at a time - or a chapter which may be 2 pages in all.
    I think it important to see the series as a reading programme which includes books not just as books for struggling readers. At every stage the phonic focus is emphasized and this way the pupil is empowered by learning the phonics which will enable him/her to read other hi/low reading series.
    All too often, the necessary teaching is not being done along side of the reading.
    Hope this angle is helpful,
    Tami

17. dzil

Thank you. Your perspective is helpful. Your books are great and I could see them being really helpful with readers that learn as quickly as pupils with moderate learning difficulties. I would never expect a reading scheme's books to provide the whole teaching of reading. Obviously phonics must be taught and taught well.
    My point was simply that they go far too fast for pupils with severe learning difficulties. It can take well over a year for them to move through the simple letter - sound combinations and another to manage CVC. They don't always understand that the necessary blending, segmenting, phoneme manipulation etc is actually helping what they (and their parents) see as "real" reading. Workbooks help (but again they are usually too childish for 12 and 13 year olds and usually uses vocabulary that is beyond them even though it is only CVC words that they can de code) They are motivated by being able to read real meaningful sentences in books . Not giving them reading books, or worse, keeping them on one book for a year or two whilst they master the necessary CVC and CCVC combinations of your first book is likely to destroy their already fragile confidence.

18. Hi Tami
    Thanks for your reply. I have had a look at the 'Dandelion Launchers' books and I think they are along the lines of what we are looking for - with one problem, the graphics are too young! There are so many Special Schools out there would it not be worth a publisher's while to produce something for us?? If you have contact with a publisher maybe you could mention it to them in passing!
    Thanks

19. I can't suggest reading schemes but I have reading and spelling resources that I send out on a CD. There is information on my website but the examples given are from the primary CD. I now have a second CD which has the same resources but I have changed most of the pictures to be more appropriate for older pupils. I can send a list of the resources + some examples from this second CD. Although the resources were originally made for dyslexic children, they are appropriate for all pupils who have reading and spelling difficulties. There are numerous games, posters and other learning aids that follow a structured programme of work for phonics and sight words. I used the Early Learning plastic letters, that had one colour for vowels and another for consonants. for word building.
    email: margaret2612@btinternet.com