1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading schemes and home readers - what does your school do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mystery10, Dec 9, 2011.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

There is something I am trying to get to grips with.
    I gather from many of these threads that a lot of schools have various reading schemes in bookbanded boxes. A lot of these are not phonic based reading schemes. Some schools have bandings that go up well beyond white,containing scheme readers, not real books. Some schools require children to read things at home from their boxes even when the child is enjoying reading other roughly equivalent standard material from home, the library etc etc. Parents and children are told they must read the school books.
    Why is this?

PS. I can understand it if a child is in the early stages of learning to read and they are following through a systematic phonics scheme with decodable readers at the right level that it would be valuable to practice at home. And I can kind of understand it if one is working through a sight word scheme logically with a controlled vocab which is being systematically added to.

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I can only assume that it's because you can't assume a child will be getting books to read from home/library, so the policy is to send books home. They are usually very old, pre-phonics obsession era. I went to school in the early 90s and many of the books I remember are still being used now!
    If a parent came to me and said they wanted to use their own books, I don't think I'd have an issue with that. The only thing is, parents often overestimate what their child can do, and want them moved up a level because they can decode the words - they have no interest in whether the child understands the content. Therefore parents may move their child on to books which are a little to hard in a comprehension sense.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We send home decodable books (from a variety of schemes and we also use Phonics Bug on line reading scheme) to practise reading at the appropriate level plus a "library" book for the child to share with an adult

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I tend to have 'off the record' chats with parents who I know will buy books for their child or get them from the library and will read with and to their child, and say that I don't really care if the books that get sent home are read or not. It's really those children who have no access to books at home otherwise that books are sent home for. We do offer all children library books to take out and take home as well.
    Most banded books, let's be honest, are utter drivel and could put a potentially good reader off reading for life if forced to read them.

5. Msz

There are some of the newer books available that good readers love

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'd be interested in the name of any decent schemes, Msz, please.

7. Msz

Our pupils enjoy [​IMG][/URL]

8. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

My class love Rigby Pirates, and Castles, especially the non-fiction books.
    As someone pointed out, some parents overestimate their child's reading ability. In those circumstances it's better to let them 'read' whatever they want at home and persevere with texts at the child's level in school. At least that way, the parent will be reading with the child at home every night, and that's what we want to happen.
    However, I'd like to have this written in gold letters at the front of reading records...
    Writing 'fantastic reading', 'lovely fluent reading', 'wonderful expression',' you are a super reader' 'Joe can read anything now' doesn't make it happen even if you put that every night, and what is more, your child will know you are lying.

9. Have a look at Big Cat books (Harper Collins). We have recently purchased a whole range of these in various book band stages to extend and broaden our reading stock at school which contains many ORT scheme books. After researching many options, my deputy and I chose these because of text quality, exciting illustrations and the fact that about 50% are non-fiction which tend to be of higher interest to our reluctant readers (the majority of whom are boys).
    We have been using the books for almost two terms now; staff and pupils are loving them. We've just ordered more!

10. mystery10

Interesting. I'm only a parent so I did not know that other parents really did that. Though I suppose I have sometimes heard people describe their children's swimming, for example, and I've thought they could swim the channel, then I've seen the child put in the same level lesson as my children who I think are natural sinkers and realised that their impression was a bit beyond reality.

Ramjam I understand your approach entirely as you don't want to lose those parents' enthusiasm to read with their child every night, and maybe sometime soon the child's reading will actually match up to the books they are borrowing / buying.
    But it does also happen the other way - books go home that are too difficult.
    Has anyone found a really good way of helping the "overenthusiastic parents" (for want of a better description) to choose the "right" matter for an early reader to read successfully at home. Much more reading is going to be done at home in some households than there is ever going to be time for in years R, 1, 2 at school, so if it was better "focused" it would really speed along the learning to read process, and give teachers the time at school to concentrate more on the children whose parents can't / won't hear their children at home.

All those schemes that many children love that have been listed are useful - any more suggestions?

11. Msz

Our children love the Rapid books

[​IMG]mainly for the jokes and quiz

12. mystery10

Yes I've worked with older boys who have enjoyed those. Each book has a fact and a fiction text.

13. Msz

Two of the Y2 boys spent most of Thursday lunch time reading the jokes to me

14. mystery10

[​IMG] Don't know how many times I've heard the Horrid Henry joke book read to me from cover to cover.
    My own girls enjoyed the newish OUP songbirds gold and white, also we liked the newish Floppy Phonics.