1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading scheme what do you use?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mprimaryz, Jan 8, 2012.

1. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Hi folks, my new school currently has about 4 or 5 sets of reading schemes. They're pretty old and I'm looking into replacing them with a new scheme to make it more consistent throughout the school. I'm leaning towards the 'project x' books but would love to hear from anyone who uses them good or bad. Or anyone else who can recommend a reading scheme that I can look into. Whilst I'm doing a fair bit of research their websites all say how brilliant they are but I can't really rely on their biased opinion!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We have Project X as one of our reading schemes. It is aimed at boys and although my Y2 girls enjoy it I wouldn't recommend it as the only scheme in school you would need something else alongside.
    We have Phonics Bug & Bug Club from Pearson (both paper and e books) Sounds & Letters Floppy's phonics, Rigby Star, Songbirds, Big Cat, All Stars, Tree Tops, Rapid Reading Literacy World

3. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Can I ask why you recommend having more than one reading scheme? Is it so that it has a greater chance of appealing to everyone and not just the boys? Personally, I would like to make things as simple as possible but I am open to ideas.

Thanks

4. Msz

Well Project X books have been written for boys so unless you work in a single sex school the books may not engage half your pupils.
    From experience of using one scheme we found children could read the scheme books confidently but it didn't necessarily transfer to other books. A breadth of style is valuable

5. At what age are you looking for the schemes for? In our school we're trying to get the children off schemes as soon as possible and onto real books - there are so many great books that are aimed at younger children these days. We have Project X too and I wouldn't recommend them, they don't have the best storylines and although some are good, my children much prefer other books.

6. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

I see what your saying and partly agree that we should be getting children off schemes but in a school where there is no clear reading policy, mixed up schemes and no real progression throughout the school, my school really needs something simple and easy with which everyone is on board. I'm wanting to use the books for guided reading anyway so would need sets however I am encouraging my class to bring in their own books and to make time were we discuss books in class.

7. Really like Big Cats from Collins - we have ORT core scheme plus additional bits from Floppy's phonics and Project X. We have started to add books from the Big Cats scheme in as additional books to give use breadth and more interest. Also they look much nicer! We. like Msz find that our kids can read ORT but struggle to transfer skills to new text. Also we had loads of fiction and very little non-fiction to choose from. We use these in KS1 and for some children in lower KS2 but once they are beyond book band 10 or 11 we move them on to free readers.

8. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

By 'free readers' do you mean an actual fiction/non fiction book and not an Ort book for example. Do you children then take this home to read as well?

9. Hi, just wanted to bump up this thread as I am curious as to what ' freereaders' means. Do the children choose any book from the book corner or library or are they grouped in some way or do they choose a book from home to read? Our scheme goes up to ORT 13 or 15 then children choose books from home. I am interested to know how you manage free readers as in does the child choose a book & read it & the parent signs or what!

10. Msz

It seems to vary from school to school. In some schools reception children are regarded "free readers" much to parents pride.