1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

reading scheme for teenagers

Discussion in 'English' started by upsyiggle, May 27, 2011.

1. oh,and thankyou Marlin - yes it was!

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Happy to have helped - hope you find a scheme you are happy with. [​IMG]

3. Which is completely irrelevant to whether or not they are easy or complex to decode. Many multisyllable words are no more difficult to read from decoding point of view than three or four successive single syllable words. Children just need to be taught how to work them out and given the confidence to do so. Restricting text to words of one or two syllables is, ultimately, disabliing.

4. I think I have learnt more about how to teach kids to read from watching my own child in infant school than from being a teacher. As you say, it is about confidence. This has only recently become a real issue for our school - students coming in at level 1 or 2. So, to go back to my previous question - do I buy in a scheme or software (the thought of which makes me shudder) or do I go right back to jolly phonics (and potentially destory their confidence once and for all?! Reading the 269 page DfES study into literacy interventions and their effectiveness has left me no wiser!

5. No, you don't have to go back to Jolly Phonics! But you do have to incorporate phonics somehow, and convince any doubting pupils that phonic knowledge is what skilled readers use to work out unknown words and to help with spelling. Which is why I recommended Phonics International. It is a good phonics programme, with masses of resources, which can be used with any age group.
    You will find (well, I do, and it is my job to work with the poorest readers in KS3) that most struggling readers know the 'simple' alphabetic code (one letter = one sound) but have never learned much more. To take them back to initial teaching level would be unnecessary, but you need to find their knowledge gaps and fill them, and give them lots of practice of reading texts which they can decode and which improve their confidence. Most of them will be relieved to find that reading isn't so difficult after all.
    I actually use Read Write Inc. Freshstart (pub OUP) for small groups and one to one, but it's wickedly expensive. It has the advantage of integral, fairly age appropriate, decodable text and the teaching programme all laid out for you.

6. Whoops. Sorry, that was on another thread all together!
    But, have a look at it:
    www.phonicsinternational.com

7. Hi Maizie
    Thanks so much - I love the look of it - think a lot of the students I need to target are just ready for Unit 2.
    thanks again