1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

reading scheme for dyslexics

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by ejayc, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Hi we are investigatng a reading scheme for dyslexic children (primary) would you recommend Wellington square or rapid reading?

Thanks

2. I definitely wouldn't recommend Wellington Square! I assume that your dyslexic children are getting a good, structured, systematic phonics intervention (or reinforcement of a good mainstream synthetic phonics programme?) and they need good decodable readers to run alongside it which will give them plenty of decoding and blending practice with graphemes which they know, or are learning. Wellington Square is not decodeable and is based on a mix of analytic phonics and 'look and say'. Not at all suitable for dyslexics.
    I don't know about much about Rapid Readers but a quick google tells me that they don't lok very promising and are certainly not decodable. The blurb about one of them says this:
    The bit I've bolded suggests to me that the books are aimed at teaching children to 'learn' a limited number of individual words. This is not really what you want, you want children who are able to independently work out what any word 'says', not just have a limited repertoire of familiar words.
    I would google 'decodable books' and have a look at what is available. I wouldn't worry to much about them being 'high interest' or appealing particularly to boys; I have Y7s & 8s who happily read Jelly & Bean and are so pleased to find that reading is not difficult after all... (though this is only for supplementary reading, I do use a proper SP programme with good, integral, decodable text for most of their reading practice)

3. U may like to look at my blog first or some of the many other things I have written,
    to understand why quite a few children find learning to read English very difficult.
    I'll get banned if I mention them on here, but u can find a lot by googling my name: Masha Bell.
    U can also write to me: mashabell@aol.com

4. Masha - why do you always abbreviate "you" to "u"? You don't abbreviate "why" to "Y". So irritating.
    I really don't like Wellington Square and they are looking really outdated which defeats the purpose which is to make stories which appeal to older kids.
    For kids who have the basic grasp of SP but just need to practise - chosen stories from The Sun or Metro rarely require a high level of literacy. W e used to use them with Deaf kids whose literacy level was way below chronological age.

5. What about the latest books of Dandelion Readers? They are designed with older students in mind.

6. I would be happy with 'y' for 'why' too. I am for adopting more sensible spellings whenever possible. But 'u' is already used by many informally. I am merely trying to encourage its formal usage too. It makes perfect sense on the model of 'I', and for slower learners shorter words are much easier to cope with.
    Many people have said
    “If only the code was as simple as a letter, or group of letters, representing any one particular phoneme, then the teaching and learning of the code would be speedy and straightforward – “. The likes of 'you' and 'young' are clearly unhelpful. I am trying to get people to think about reducing such nonsense, so that teaching and learning the English alphabet code becomes easier. I know that teachers are interested mainly just in how best to help kids here and now, but I am trying to *** them into giving some thought to make things better. My latest effort towards that is a blog in which explain what harm the inconsistencies of English spelling do.
    I am sorry that my attempts to improve life for slower learners irritate u.

7. I have found Ruth Miskin literacy programmes useful :)

8. Read Write Inc (Ruth Miskin literacy)
    Jelly and Bean- be careful lots of 'sight' words
    Dandelion readers

9. Hi. Depending on the age of your dyslexic readers there is a series called Totem from Phonic books (www.phonicbooks.co.uk) which has a reading age of KS1 but an "interest age" of 8 - 14. It is a structured set of 12 reading books begining with CVC and CVCC words and progressing though the various letter sounds and phonic blends. A second series, called Talisman, builds on the Totem series and covers the wide range of different spellings of the different vowel sounds.
    It seems to me to be ideal for individual or group work with dyslexic pupils and it is not expensive either. The set of 12 Totem books costs £45; the set of 10 Talisman books costs £39; and each series has one (224-page, in the case of Totem) photocopiable workbook at a price of £25 each - refreshingly much cheaper than the usual £80+ which other publishers charge! I hope this recommendation is helpful - these books would also be highly suitable for reluctant older readers, secondary-age DST diagnoses, and "garden-variety" slow readers.
    Good luck!

10. crusell

crusell New commenter

check out http://www.phonics-flashcards.jimdo.com there are some interactive free phonics flash games

11. Not if you have a strong Dewsbury accent it isn't, but U is.

12. I am currently writing a series of decodable readers in the form of short stories for (primarily) dyslexic children which follow the approach to teaching phonics promoted by the Orton-Gillingham society. The basic idea is to feature a particular sound/syllable/spelling rule within each story (or poem) so that a struggling reader is given repeated practice with a particular targeted concept - all within the context of a child-friendly story. For example, the first book targets short vowels and contains five short stories, each of which concentrate on one of the short vowels. The second features silent-e syllables, and a third upcoming one will feature consonant digraphs. About ten more are currently in production.
    The series is called Moose Moments and is being published by an educational games company called Moose Materials (to be found at www.moosematerials.com. ) We are just starting up this series, but fyi the books are paperback, 22 by 28 cms, and are about 40 pages each. They retail in the US at $15 and in UK at 10 GBP. A sample story of each book can be viewed at the above site. One last point, they are US produced and contain some "Americanisms", but the author is Scottish and feels they would also be appealing to a British audience.

13. We use rapid reader and have found it extremely successful (some children make over 2 years progress) books are for low reading age but for older children so themes tend to appeal to them. Each books consists of a fiction and non-fiction 'story'. Children read the books twice a week, carry out related activities and then in the third session children carry out related reinforcement activities using the ICT package, which has voice recognition technology. If you would like any more info please contact me.
    Definately not Wellington Square for older children the themes are totally unsuitable.
    Jackie