1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading SATs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by goldsocks, May 14, 2012.

1. What did you think of the reading test this year?

2. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I liked the subject matter better than last year, but a few of mine didn't finish and were quite upset with themselves [​IMG]

It's really hard to console a child and tell them it doesn't really matter when they say, "but my mum and dad will be so cross with me." [​IMG]

3. I liked the content and the booklet didn't seem quite as long as normal. Easy for the level 5 children but my level 3 children struggled as there were lots of inference questions! :S

4. gargs

gargs Star commenter

Some of the questions about the story extract were quite involved - there was a lot of picking out fine details. The question about finding three things that showed Shere Khan was bad flummoxed a lot of them (and some of us!).

5. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

Our year 6 teacher said the same. Liked the subject matter but felt that lots of the children had difficulties with getting through all the questions. One member of the class really panicked about the amount to be done in the time and got quite upset.

6. I felt the children had to do a lot for one mark - this is what made it a bit more difficult. I think that some of the questions were quite pointless and open to interpretation!! SATs papers should not be about tricking the kids out but more about getting a true reflection of their level!!