1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading SATs Test 2016

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bramallblade, May 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. nixmith

nixmith Occasional commenter

Problem is, if you tell her she has passed (and she doesn't) how will she react, when she has to resit it in Year 7?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'm fairly sure resits won't be taking place. For the current Y6 cohort at least. Not a jot has been mentioned about it to Secondary schools, as far as I know.

3. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Resits for Year 5 when they get to Year 7. Sample papers will be available for secondary schools in the Autumn term so that they can prepare for December 2017.
    I can't find where I read that.

4. infiniteabyss

infiniteabyss New commenter

Carolyne740 and JessicaRabbit1 like this.
  5. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Fantastic use of higher-level punctuation there :)

6. coxdeb

coxdeb New commenter

Now we can talk about the content - did anyone else think the question about the column/pillar was quite ambiguous? Or did I miss something?

7. Carolyne740

Carolyne740 New commenter

A fabulous letter infiniteabyss. Really well written - and many excellent points made.
    This needs to be an open letter to Nicky!!
    Can't ait to see what - and how - she replies.

Think I shall get my class to do the same (after our writing moderation!)

8. Carolyne740

Carolyne740 New commenter

I agree - the column question was quite ambiguous. Luckily, we had been looking, in RE, at temples and columns the week before. Still, lots of them put the wrong answer!

9. coxdeb

coxdeb New commenter

I assumed the right answer would be the smooth column, not the statue. But my memory is that the statue had a flat base and the column had a boxier base. So neither seemed quite correct to me.

10. istabraq

istabraq New commenter

Can't remember the wording of the question exactly but it was Q5 or 6 and was something about describing the water as glass like and what did that tell us about the water. I'm sure my kids wouldn't have understood that one, but maybe made some educated guesses. But a tough question to come so early.

From speaking to my children, most of them get on to the 3rd text but found those questions difficult, so not sure what sort of answers they were giving.

11. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Thank you @infiniteabyss, @coxdeb, @Carolyne740, and @istabraq for your comments.

Does anyone else have concerns about the content? Do you share the same concerns about the same questions or were there others that you thought were difficult?

12. largelugs

largelugs New commenter

Anybody else starting to have nightmares about finding out the threshold???

13. GrammarBear

GrammarBear New commenter

Yes huge nightmares. We have had two scribed Reading scripts back. One pupil 6 / 50 this was expected. However the other pupil very good reader 33/50 in our Reading mock (sample paper) TA at EXS an average of 30 across all his practice papers. 2016 Reading paper score 15/50!! I genuinely felt sick. Oh by the way Grammar paper 50/70. Really worried.

14. Bluebird1

Bluebird1 New commenter

In a NAHT survey in June 86% of Heads said they thought the Reading paper was significantly harder than expected. I fully expect that scores will have been depressed nationally and will probably be much lower than the design expectations. Thresholds will need to compensate for the difficulty that children faced. Remember they promised the standard would be similar to 4B so we should be watching closely to see if this year's national percentage of 'meeting expectations' is in line with the 4B percentage last year. If its not and its much lower then there will rightfully be significant union protest. We had a paper return for a SEN child who scored 14. The child scored 18 in the mocks. Iam hoping that last year's old level thresholds will apply. A score of 18 being a pass for 'meeting expectation'. We'll have to wait and see but there's no point having nightmares, thousands of schools will be in the same position and if they set thresholds too high they will be failing a nation!

15. istabraq

istabraq New commenter

Threshold in my opinion will be somewhere roundabout 20-22 expected and 33-35 greater depth

A lot of Schools who are expecting the worst will have done better than they expect I feel. Guess we will see

16. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

There is no 'greater depth' given. Just a raw score and what their standardised score is, so if a child scores 110 as a standardised score then it basically tells you nothing!

17. istabraq

istabraq New commenter

Northhead,

There will be a greater depth measure or "high scaled score" in their words. See below

Primary school accountability measures

From 2016, there will continue to be a range of forms of accountability in place for primary schools; including published data, floor standards and school inspection.

2016 performance tables

The headline measures, which will appear in the performance tables, will include attainment and progress measures. These will be:

• the percentage of pupils achieving the ‘expected standard’ in English reading, English writing and mathematics at the end of key stage 2

• the pupils’ average scaled score:
       in English reading at the end of key stage 2  in mathematics at the end of key stage 2

• the percentage of pupils who achieve at a high standard in English reading, English writing and mathematics

• the pupils’ average progress:  in English reading

 in English writing

 in mathematics

The percentage of pupils achieving the expected standard is a combined measure across the three subjects. To be counted towards the measure, a pupil must have a scaled score of 100 or more in reading and a scaled score of 100 or more in mathematics; and have been teacher assessed in writing as ‘working at the expected standard’ or ‘working at greater depth in the expected standard’.

The percentage of pupils achieving at a higher standard is also a combined measure across the three subjects. To be counted towards the measure, a pupil must have a high scaled score in reading and a high scaled score in mathematics; and have been teacher assessed in writing as ‘working at a greater depth’. We will confirm what constitutes achieving a high scaled score in mathematics and English reading, after the new key stage 2 tests have been sat in summer 2016

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  18. OG19

OG19 New commenter

They are literally making it up as they go along.

19. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

Yes but the high achievers data won't be published on the 5th.

20. istabraq

istabraq New commenter

I'd like to think they would be released on July 5th (during the day at some point). I'm not sure why they would wait, when they have everything they need now (all tests marked a while back). They have had time to play with the figures etc - to get the results they want with regards to expected and high achievement nationally.

The scaled score mean something, higher it is, better chance of greater depth/high achievement.

Guess we will see come July 5th.