1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading SATs Test 2016

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bramallblade, May 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

I had a child in tears. It was because he came to three questions in a row that he couldn't answer and still had half the paper to go. As he was expecting the paper to get progressively more difficult, I can see how this would have upset him. He has worked incredibly hard to improve his reading this year and is at an average level but he now feels he has failed. This is not because his school or parents have pressured him but because of how the test made him feel. I certainly haven't read any comments about children becoming hysterical - people are hyping things up for a better story.
    On the secondary/primary debate, do all secondary teachers realise that all the children who fail this test will have to resit in Year 7?

2. markpageiow

markpageiow New commenter

My daughter is taking these tests. Whatever the results, I'm going to tell her she passed. It will completely destroy her if she thought that after all the revision, hard work and worry that she failed at primary school. I hope they come to realise how much they are destroying children's love of learning from a very early age now. It's no wonder children go to secondary school switched off from learning and, particularly this year, will be entering secondary school feeling like failures.

3. Bluebird1

Bluebird1 New commenter

The NAHT are compiling evidence to respond to the government about Monday's paper. Follow the link to respond with experiences.

Do not reply to this email as the mailbox is unmonitored. View email in browser.
    [​IMG]
    Dear

In his statement to the House of Commons – you can read it here – Nick Gibb, the Schools Minister, made it clear that the government does not consider the leaked results of yesterday’s KS1 SPAG test to be serious enough to discredit the test results.
    We can’t imagine a worse start to SATS week for you and your pupils; keep going as you would have done - low key, professional, supportive.

Rest assured we are following up on the issues on your behalf so you can focus on what matters: your pupils. Your focus will be on supporting them (and teachers) through this week. Our focus is on getting the government to see sense in both the short and long term. These mistakes are not inevitable. They are the results of rushing through reforms without consultation.

Although attention has largely been given to the leaked SPAG test, we have actually received more complaints about Monday's fairly horrific reading test. The questions were perceived to be far beyond many children and there was no sensible order of difficulty. We've spoken to the minister about this and we're compiling evidence, so please do send it on. We're all for high aspirations, but there is nothing to be gained from crushing ten and eleven year olds.

We have called on the government to cancel the publication of this year's test results and any national benchmark that might be generated from them. There is no excuse for using compromised data to hold schools accountable. We will also continue to press for a comprehensive review of primary assessment. We've already set out some ideas for this at Conference. We have asked the Schools Minister for an urgent meeting to discuss these crucial issues.

Best regards

Russell

[​IMG]
    Click here to amend your subscription details (you will need to log into the website). Please do not reply to this email because it has been sent from an automated mailbox. Please send your enquiry to info@naht.org.uk.

NAHT is a registered trade union. Our registered address is 1 Heath Square, Boltro Road, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH16 1BL. View NAHT’s privacy policy.

[​IMG]

4. danbeier

danbeier New commenter

Yeah, because being told that you've done really well at something when you haven't is what happens throughout everyone's life is it? In my view, as a primary school teacher, and parent, it is far more kind towards and supportive of the child's overall development to be honest. If they haven't quite met the expected standard surely the best thing would be to explain that they haven't quite met the expectation for the end of Y6, but you are really proud of how well they have worked and the fact they tried their best, ad you are sure that if they continue to do this they will achieve it in the long run.
    Children are a little more intelligent than some of you give them credit for.
    I would have struggled to believe anything my parents / teachers had told me if at the age of 11 (we are not talking about 3 year olds here) they felt that they couldn't tell me I wasn't the best at something. I don't know why this word 'failed' keeps appearing. You only have to use that if you choose to - I wouldn't.

sparklepig2002 and misshughessph like this.
  5. misshughessph

misshughessph New commenter

I agree, Danbeier. They may or may not have passed but all this news coverage about everyone finding it hard will bring some comfort to anyone who didn't pass and they will realise that they weren't alone in not passing and that the sample paper given as practice wasn't anywhere near the standard of the one given on Monday. No one could have been that prepared for such a test. Best to tell the truth, even if it does upset them. Wrapping them in cotton wool and shielding them from such events isn't doing them any favours.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  6. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Oh dear, NAHT. You should get your facts right. There are no "SATS". (You mean NCTs?) It isn't an "SPAG" paper. (You mean "GPS"?)

7. bramallblade

bramallblade New commenter

If you want to be pedantic about it, you're right. :)

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Markuss, do you get similarly upset by the misuse of brand names such as Tannoy and Hoover?

I'm concerned for your emotional well-being.

Billie73 likes this.
  9. markuss

"tannoy" and "hoover"? If they are "misused" and written down, it wouldn't be with capital letters, would it?
    "She hoovered the carpet." No, that doesn't bother me really. ( However, as it happens, in my household we do talk about "dysoning " because we don't have a Hoover brand machine.)

You expect "professionals" to use "professional" language, though. If I went to buy a vacuum cleaner and the salesperson called the Dysons "hoovers" and the Hoovers "dysons", I'd wonder if they actually could be trusted to know what they were talking about. Head teachers are supposed to be professionals in the business of educational assessment and, if writing to the government, should use professional language rather than idle and ignorant nicknames, shouldn't they?

The brand name "SAT" is a different case from eponyms like "hoover" though. The spelling tells you that it's an initialism - that it's pronounced "ess ay tee". If there were such a thing as an "SATS" to put on your school calendar, it'd be an "ess ay tee ess". Similarly, "SPAG" would spell "ess pee ay gee". (OK, I know that the spelling convention for acronyms and initialisms and how many capitals are used isn't always followed - not by any means.)

Do I want to be a pedant? Well, I don't mind being one. I'm a teacher of English. It's the business of English teachers to teach how to call things by the right name and how to use appropriate register. So, yes, in some contexts nicknames and colloquialisms and slang and jargon are fine as long as you know what you're doing.

I suspect, though, that the NAHT writers don't know what kind of English they're using. I do suspect that headteachers do have a fantasy that "SATS" week and "SPAG" time are orthodox and formal Standard English ways of writing when really, in the context of the professional business of assessment, they're writing nonsense. It's fine to babble "sats" and "spag" when you're having a laugh with your mates, of course it is.

My emotional well being is great, thanks. Really happy with life.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    mystery10 and nick909 like this.
  10. markuss

And, of course, if Nick Gibb or Nicky thingy were to talk "sats" or "spag" language , you could laugh them to scorn for their ignorance.

Same if your school had an Ofsted report mentioning the "SATs" scores - it wouldn't be worth the paper. You'd be laughing.

Suppose it'd be the same if you had a child and they came home with a school report saying what they had done in "SATs" - you'd think someone at the school needed some English and assessment training, wouldn't you? Just not appropriate language in a formal setting.

11. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

I don't think that it's unreasonable to expect a professional union to get terms correct when addressing an important issue. On a personal note, the term SPAG is actually an offensive term in the part of the country where I live. We never use it in school and nor do any others in our area.

12. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Yet again, you're talking rubbish. What's it been now - five years? Six? I do love the passion though. Trolls have to work hard to keep going so long.

We all know what the correct term for the tests is. We also all know that SATs is an acceptable term. It has been for years. The government have even used it in some documents. It's really about time you got over it and realised that once a term is used enough it can become acceptable to convey meaning. It's not even really a slang term any more. It has become so common as to be an acceptable variation. The NAHT use the term because it is known to the public and thus more likely to have people pay attention when they hear it.

Your other point about it being an initialism is also wrong. I'm not even sure where you get that from. You're so desperate for people to associate the term with the US college entry tests that you have pushed it onto the UK SATs. You started to acknowledge that the spelling convention for acronyms isn't always clear - so why make the point? It's an acronym because we treat it that way. Simple really.

Jesmond12 and HelenSQ like this.
  13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

This post has made my day.

14. bramallblade

bramallblade New commenter

It caused a wry smile for me too! It doesn't bother him at all even though it prompted a near essay style response.

mystery10 likes this.
  15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Let it be known now that I absolutely respect Markuss's consistency and diligence. Fantastic work.

Milgod likes this.
  16. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

All good fun. But back to the initial seriousness of this thread - a lot more children than usual found the reading paper difficult, by all accounts. And it was harder than some papers for children to pick out the questions that they were capable of answering.

This got me thinking back to the first time I experience KS2 tests firsthand. The school asked for volunteers to read and scribe for some of the year 6s and I got to experience "firsthand" the tests for some pupils who I had worked with one to one voluntarily in years 5 and 6 as they were struggling in maths and numeracy.

I felt very sorry for them on the day as there was so little of what they could do which they could demonstrate in the level 3 to 5 paper - I'm thinking particularly here of one boy in the maths. He didn't seem bothered outwardly but I knew he was as I knew him far better from one to one sessions. I remember asking the classteacher about it afterwards; I was very much struck that a level 1/ 2/3 paper, if such a thing existed, would have left him with a sense of satisfaction at the end but as it was he knew that he had guessed his way through most of it. I don't think the teacher felt there was a problem though - I presume this particular child had developed a nonchalant exterior over many years of being faced with work that they could only partially complete, particularly in test-type situations.

How much pleasanter it is sitting one of these papers for a child who feels they have a fair chance of a good stab at all the questions? Or for the child who understands that this is a paper which is designed to give a very wide spread of marks and that it is very hard to score a high mark on?

In the past, apart from the level 6 papers, there would have been quite a hunk of children who have only ever felt well prepared when sitting in a test. For these children, the reading test this year must have come as a big shock. But let's not forget all of those who felt like this many times in the old system too but grew to learn to cover it up in front of their teachers and classmates.

17. Carolyne740

Carolyne740 New commenter

It will be interesting to see what the mark scheme is like ... especially with relation to the SPaG elements e.g. write a word or phrase that .... Wonder how strict they will be.

18. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

They were very strict last year, one of mine missed level 5 when she wrote the complete sentence instead of the phrase and dropped a mark!

cassandramark2 likes this.
  19. wlumley

wlumley New commenter

I had the dubious privilege of preparing pupils for Year 6 SATs as a One to One Teacher and was already sceptical about the content of the sample tests, which appear to have borne no relation to the actual tests - ironic? I've now come to the conclusion that OFSTED has been monitoring the wrong institutions all along, Morgan's Department is in desperate need of academising.

20. ontherazzle

ontherazzle New commenter

Does anyone know if this reading test is being published online anywhere? I believe people are allowed to discuss the specific content seven days from the test date - or is it ten days?