1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading recovery

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by cleobud, Mar 10, 2016.

1. cleobud

cleobud New commenter

I'm trying to find a low cost programme that a TA can run which will help children in the early stages of learning to read from year1/2. I know about reading recovery and Fischer Family Trust Wave 3. We have a very limited budget. Many thanks.

2. LKGreaves1992

LKGreaves1992 New commenter

Where I work, we have Phonics Bug, which is linked through Active Learn. It is a really good and helpful programme that links to Phonics and reading. :)

3. AFungFook

AFungFook New commenter

Have you tried using the website www.starfall.com?
    There are many leveled readers available on that site, but depending on the level of your students it may be too easy. also try www.learntoreadfree.com or teachyourmonstertoread.com

4. jade_dragon

jade_dragon New commenter

Programmes based on whole language and multicueing approaches fostering guessing (rather than decoding) have been widely discredited by current scientific evidence, as best explained by the International Foundation for Effective Reading Instruction. The Position Statement by Learning Difficulties Australia has listed the programmes which they recommend (and those that they don't) with corresponding explanation. The Spelfabet blog, run by a speech pathlogist, also has a list of recommended classroom resources which you can peruse to see would work best in your context.

5. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Have you looked at Taming Tricky Words by AMS Educational. This helps kids to recognise tricky words on sight by associating a picture, action and ditty with it. Very simple to use and cheap £32.99 on their website. We use at our school and it works well with those children who want to try and decode tricky words.