1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

reading recovery - any positives?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by katiekatie, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Do you really believe that the people behind RR are doing it to help children rather than make a lot of money?
    RR costs £5000+ for one child (for 10-20 weeks) imagine how many children could be helped if the same amount of funding was available to all

2. And instead of 'very opinionated' try very well-informed and experienced and also very caring!

3. I don't see why there is all the anger about it all, I obviously can't comment too much as i'm only just going into it (unlike yourselves, obviously).
    I was merely pointing out that like katiekatie it is something new that we have chosen to do, which in itself is a rather scary thing especially as it is a very much debated topic, I just think that instead of pointing out all the negative why not just wish her luck and hope that RR helps the children she and I will be working with???????
    Absolutely no questions as to whether you're caring or not as I know it is a huge part of being a teacher.....to care!

4. I can't possibly comment on the people behind RR as usually these people have rarely even set foot in the classroom and are definately interested in making money, all I can comment on is the people who are implementing and teaching RR and can confidently say that they <u>are</u> trying to help children!
    I know some schools are crying out for extra funding for classroom resources etc that will benefit ALL children (i've worked in a few) and I know its infuriating when a new scheme pops up and people throw money at it when there seems to be not much money around (if you're not in right area that is)!
    Sorry people didn't want to fuel any arguments just wanted to wish katiekatie good luck as i'm in the same boat and that maybe RR won't be as negative as some people have made it out to be.....I certainly hope it won't or i've made a big career boob!!!!!

5. Msz

I don't dispute that your intentions are good and you do want to help children but just imagine how many more you could help. I hope you have made a good career choice but with a new government and education budget cuts ...

6. And, you see, I think that Michael Gove and Nick Gibbs are pretty knowledgable about the dubious nature of RR as an effective intervention...

7. Msz

To quote a national newspaper
    Nick Gibb, the admirable new schools minister, one of the world's great
    militants for synthetic phonics
    . Indeed, you can have a meeting with
    Nick on almost any subject, and I can guarantee he will have mentioned
    it within five minutes.

8. As a taxpayer, for &pound;5000+ per child, I want a lot more than luck and hope.
    As a teacher, I have seen how RR routinely fails the most vulnerable children.

9. http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmselect/cmsctech/370/370.pdf