1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading Observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Minkuelle1, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Minkuelle1

Minkuelle1 New commenter

in a couple of weeks I have my observation in my Year 5 English class with the focus on reading. It's a big focus currently in our school, hence the focus. I can't do guided reading but I get the impression they're looking at our styles for teaching it. Problem is, my job share does the reading so the only reading lessons I do is normally at the start of a unit, introducing the text, language features, structure etc. my obs is when I'll be preparing them for VCOP (the drafting, editing part)! Therefore my issue is it wouldn't be a huge reading session, it would be writing. We will be looking at Rudyard Kipling- Jungle Book, Just So stories in this unit. Any ideas for what I could would be helpful, as this is the first time I'm a bit stumped as to what direction I take it!

2. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

If the observation is for reading you need a reading lesson not writing. Have you told them that you will be on the writing phase?
    When this happens we just do a reading lesson and everyone understands.
    Look at Hamilton Trust there is a unit on the Jungle Book for year 5. They are not too bad. It might get you thinking. Only trouble you might have to subscribe.
    I could send you the unit if you give me your email.

3. Minkuelle1

Minkuelle1 New commenter

Yes I'm subscribed to the Hamilton Trust and some of the lessons are from there!
    I So I've had an idea for my observation and decided I need to trust my gut instinct and stick to the them of the unit of work. It also would link into the writing where they have to write their own stories. So if you want to have a look, I've attached the very rough plan below (I have 2 weeks and anything can happen!)

Prior learning: chn have studied extracts from Rudyard Kipling's classic novels . Looked at his style and hw he uses animals in stories with human characteristics. Began to read How the Whale Got His Throat from Just So- discussed the use of short animal stories to give morals.

Objective: to comment on author's use of language.
    - analyse the key features of author's style,

Teaching Input- recap the purpose of these stories (teach morals). Display an extract from one of the Just So stories- answer key Q’s on setting / characters / problems they face etc. What are the most important elements of Kipling’s style in this story? Display these features on board- addresses the reader, animals with human characteristics, set in an unfamiliar place, alliteration, contracted words, has a moral, slightly magical etc. Find examples of these.
    Introduce task- Read story (How the Camel Got His Hump) and chn have to use the list provided to analyse the story for key elements of the writer’s style. Write these onto large sheets of paper to display for their writing sessions. HA to do two stories. LA to do one with TA support. Greens to aim for two with support.

Plenary- present findings to the rest of the class.
    Quiz- what are the key element s of Kipling’s style? What have we learnt about his Just So stories?

4. teacup71

We are always told to get the kids doing a small task early on and then report back. So there is less teacher talk.

5. teacup71

Maybe you could display the key questions on the board and the children have to find the answers (with a partner) then report back.

6. Minkuelle1

Minkuelle1 New commenter

Thanks for that, I think I will do exactly that!