1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading material for year 8 G&T student.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by katus1979, Dec 27, 2011.

1. The book should be Natures Numbers!

2. rhodaware

rhodaware New commenter

Alex's Adventures in Numberland. my y7 g ant t loved it! Alex Bellos I think.

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

Mine read all the Ian Stewart books at that sort of age. Some of the Head First books are quite accessible too, if you choose carefully, and they're very entertaining.

4. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

5. Great ideas, thank for these! Much appreciated.

6. ha! beat me to that one!
    is y8 a bit old for kjartan poskitt? i still enjoy them [​IMG]
    alex bellos also has a decent website, as does simon singh - would his codebook be to her taste?
    if she's into maths history, she could watch robin wilson's gresham lectures - he is very entertaining as well as informative
    [year]=&field_lecture_date[value][month]=&term_node_tid_depth=All]http://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and-events/past?keys=&field_speakers_nid=1317&field_lecture_date[value][year]=&field_lecture_date[value][month]=&term_node_tid_depth=All
    (that's one long link, i hope it works)

7. Tom Korner's The Pleasures of Counting
    Simon Singh's Fermat's Last Theorem
    I loved the books by W W Sawyer at that kind of age - Mathematician's Delight, for example. I see Dover have republished that one, but Abe Books may be a better source for the rest.
    Plus what everyone else has suggested. Agree that doing mathematics is more important than reading about it, though. Is she doing Olympiad stuff? If not I'd encourage that, whether or not she wants to enter the competitions.

8. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

Not strictly Maths, but I find bright teenagers usually love things like "why don't penguins feet freeze" etc

9. More great ideas, thanks. I can't believe I forgot about Simon Singh, I have his books upstairs so will dig them out.
    I will get her to try the Olympiad questions, I don't know yet if her school enters them for it, but I have the resources from my previous school anyway.
    We will be doing plenty of maths practice, I believe the books are for 'light' reading in her spare time! We are spending our tutoring time looking at extending topics she has studied in school as she is finding it hard to get help with extension work due to the size of class and wide range of abilities I think. Starting on investigating why two negatives multiply to give a positive, so I will enjoy that!
    Thanks again for all your help, it's much appreciated.

10. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

You can sign up with the UKMT for the Junior Mentoring Scheme, which will give you a series of question sets to work through, which is probably better than just dipping into old olympiad papers.

11. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

A good idea from frustum.
    If you are interested in challenges then the University of Mississipi publish problems every week ( they are currently on a Christmas break but you can check out past problems).
    One of my Further Maths students gets his name on the website just about every week! (They have problems for all ages).

12. thanks for that link, casey

13. Alpha, Beta and Gamma by Tony Gardner.