1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading lists - does anyone actually buy them?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by CrunchyMcFlurry, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Just wondering if any PGCE students thought their reading lists were useful? I've got quite an extensive list of books to get but tbh I'm thinking it's a lot of money to spend and a lot of people on here are saying they never even used the books throughout the year. What does everyone think? I'm doing an English PGCE by the way.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

There are lots of books out there, and the reading list gives you some suggestions of ones that might be particularly interesting or relevant to your course. Remember that you aren't expected to buy all the books on the list - you might be able to borrow some of them from your local library to read before you start the course; others can be borrowed from your university library in September. Also, don't feel under pressure to try and read everyone, because I'm guessing most of the books on it are 'recommended reading', which means you can pick and choose what you feel would help you understand certain areas of teaching better.

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

There will be maybe 3 or 4 worth buying - usually those with some general advice and worth revisiting during your course.
    But other than that, use the university and local libraries, or just plain ignore them. There are a lot of resources online these days, particularly academic research, so you won't be at a disadvantage if you don't have access to every single book (Chances are you'll find many have one paragraph worth reading!).

4. Usually the university or college you are doing your PGCE with will have a library and you should be able to access this library.
    This is what I do. Also check out amazon, they always have some second hand ones, for very very cheap!