1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading list for struggling Y5 readers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sugar_love_83, Oct 24, 2011.

1. JumpingStarfish

JumpingStarfish New commenter

Horrid Henry, BeastQuest, The Clumsies...all books my Year 3s read and are reasonably simple, but not too childish.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I know you said not scheme but Rapid Readers

[​IMG]

3. My own son used the Rapid reading scheme and his reading improved tremendously in a very short space of time

4. Did you use the full package with the software or just the books?

5. Msz

We just use the books

6. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

We used these too and found them brilliant.

7. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I would third/fourth rapid Readers, they are quite boy orientated and fab for struggling readers as the pictures are appropriate for older readers

8. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

You're a bad man Mr Gum and other Mr Gum books, Barrington Stoke books 4u2 read (I know you said not a scheme, but they are not scheme books as such and they are fantastic readers). Astrosaurs. I would maybe push them with Jiggy McCue books as although they would be a bit more stretching, they are fantastically funny boy books.

9. teach321

teach321 New commenter

Thanks for the suggestions.
    The reason I said 'no schemes' is because it is mainly suggestions for the parents to get out from the library/buy themselves. Can rapid readers be bought individually?

10. Msz

I bought lots of individual Rapid books from Amazon