1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading List for Primary PGCE

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jools1808, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Thus far, the only books I have been required to read from the enormous 'compulsory' list we were given is 'Learning to teach in the primary school'. I would recommend buying the older copy, as I got it for £2.79 with delivery on Amazon, whereas others bought the updated version (containing only one further chapter) for over £20.00 and haven't been required to use it. Interesting as the extra chapter may be, it's not worth £17.00 more!
    Also, 'The teaching of science in the primary school' (I think that's what it's called,..failing that, it has a blue cover with a bee on the front) is really useful and easy to read.
    My advice would be to spend this time reading lots of TES articles, recent influential documents and suchlike, because there really isn't any room for this on the timetable and very little is covered in lectures.
    Congratulations :)

2. Re. the Ken Robinson suggestion, if you google his name + 'creativity' you will get 19 mins of very inspiring stuff.
    Couldn't agree more re. reading as much children's lit. as you can lay your hands on - top advice. Enjoy!

3. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

How children learn mathematics: a guide for parents and teachers by Pamela Leibeck. A quick easy read from penguin books.

4. Thank you - I will have a look at it! I have limited info to read about my course - it is all due in April. they also send the reading list then too. Thanks FuchsiaGroan!