1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading levels and quiet reading!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by oldsomeman, Feb 26, 2011.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

How do folks decide which book to use with each child?
    Do you let them choose from the bookself or do you listen to each child read and then chose for them?
    The school I am in doesnt have whole school reading scheme as such, except for early years and KS1.
    I am thinking more for silent reading,although we do havea scheme of books for guided reading.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

How do folks decide which book to use with each child?
    Do you let them choose from the bookself or do you listen to each child read and then chose for them?
    The school I am in doesnt have whole school reading scheme as such, except for early years and KS1.
    I am thinking more for silent reading,although we do havea scheme of books for guided reading.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If t's quiet reading for registration/ fill-in time the children have a free choice.

4. skellig1182

skellig1182 Occasional commenter

I have 6 coulour coded (to match reading levels) boxesi.e green is a 1b. chn select from there during free reading when I want to go around and listen to chn read. There is also guided reaing done at a different time. I also do allow chn time to look at any books they wish - as we dont have a school library.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We don't use silent reading much in our year group. They do get 1/2 hour once a week in the reading corner as a guided reading carousel activity. Total free choice there. They also choose, from a slightly limited selection for their guided reading book as well.

Year 6 are more than capable of making their own choice of an appropriate book and do so.

Would love some 'fill in time' sometimes...

6. We have a KS1 and KS2 reading scheme. Our KS2 reading scheme starts again at red with low level, high interest reading books - they are rapid readers and a scheme called Docklands (which goes lower than level 1). Our KS2 reading scheme has books up to level 5 - we chose the banding colours ourselves and we have a range of books - some are what would be classed as "free readers" which we have banded.

The books we use mainly are called Pocket Chillers, fact finders - it's a scheme, not sure who by!! But there are a right range of books in there.

Our kids read every morning and 1 group reads during guided reading independently.