1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading Intervention - super reluctant reader

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by TrevelyanInq, Sep 12, 2019.

1. TrevelyanInq

TrevelyanInq New commenter

Hello the wonderful TES community. I run small group interventions that target reading, spelling and numeracy. Yesterday, whilst the other students were all occupied, I tried to start a Phonics reading book with a student. He would not read, even when I was sounding out the words for him. He became distressed and the session was not successful... This really flummoxed me as I thought over the last three sessions I had established a good relationship with him. I'm a bit stuck on what to do as the sessions are timetabled so he will always be in that group of six.
    It was recommended that I try a different approach to encourage him to read - such as playing with the reader pens we use for exams. I did some googling and his reaction and avoidance strategies may be because he has bibliophobia (did not know that was a thing!).

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can get this kid reading? He's been avoiding reading aloud in his last two years of primary from what I gather!

Thank you in advance,
    Trevelyan

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I would suggest you read to him. That is how many children start their journey towards literacy. They become engaged with the pictures and then the text as an adult reads the words and the story unfolds. It should be an enjoyable experience for a child, having a story read to them. It sounds as if this child needs to be taken to this stage to rekindle his interest and make him feel relaxed about books.
    Gradually you might be able to introduce some fun games which are based around phonics or words but where he thinks he’s playing a game with a strong incentive to do well, rather than an exercise where he is having to sound out words. Maybe centre the game on something he is particularly interested in.
    If books, reading and words come to mean enjoyable experiences and pathways into new worlds, you might find that not only are you taking the horse to water, but it is very happy to drink! All the best!

TrevelyanInq likes this.