1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading intervention for Exceeding pupils

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lemur23, Jan 1, 2017.

1. lemur23

lemur23 New commenter

Hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas regarding this.
    I'm a Year 5 teacher in a two form entry school and 10 of our current Year 5 pupils were assessed as being at Level 3 for Reading in Year 2. Therefore the Leadership team are looking for them to achieve 'Greater Depth' in this at the end of Year 6 and I've been asked to run an intervention group four days a week with these pupils with the aim of helping them get there. As five of them are at the moment only just scraping 'Expected' on comprehension tests (Y5 Rising Stars scheme) this is a bit of a worry!
    We already have a carousel system where children have a daily 25 min session of Guided Reading with the teacher, Comprehesion practice with TA, a pre read task, follow up task to Guided reading work or word level work task. They also have a weekly literacy lesson devoted to teaching comprehension skills. But I'm wondering if anyone else has ideas of what else I could do to develop comprehension skills further in ore able children.
    I'd also appreciate any guidance or links to what reading 'at greater depth' or at 'mastery' level actually means - there seems to be very little guidance.

All suggestions gratefully received

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I'd appreciate some guidance on whether greater depth actually exists in reading (and maths and spag). This website https://www.gov.uk/guidance/scaled-scores-at-key-stage-2 says not:

As tests and teacher assessment (TA) are different forms of assessment, they do not report using the same scale. As a result, there are no scaled score equivalents to the TA concepts of ‘working towards the expected standard’ or ‘working at greater depth within the expected standard’.

We had no one who got it last year, but it was a weak cohort so it's possible no one did well enough - or is it that they can't actually get it in the SATS paper?? However a colleague in a different school sent me screen shots of her school's raise data, showing a % of kids who got 'higher' - is this the same as greater depth?!

Also, those rising stars papers ar FAR TOO HARD. Our y6 cohort only had a handful of kids 'at expected' according to the y6 autumn paper in October - yet on last year's SATs paper taken in December around 1/3 of the year group got 100, i.e. At the expected standard for may, 6 months early. Don't panic, if your kids are getting expected on rising stars, they're actually ahead.

To answer your original question...the able readers probably read widely anyway and will get there on their own. I'd leave them alone, encourage them to read widely, maybe do some work to develop their vocabulary, and do a little specific input on how to answer 3 mark questions in y6.

3. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

Getting 100% or close to 100% of children reaching age related expectation in reading should be everyone's goal.

Why 'hot house' your more able children when other children could do with the support to catch up with their peers. High quality texts with challenging questions in class should be sufficient. Perhaps set them some more challenging homework? At least by doing this you are not just prepping them to pass a test.

4. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Agreed! Always much harder than the QCA ones.

5. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

The new government measures also take progress into account for all children.

The way it works is they take the KS1 levels and convert them into numbers (Yes, I know this isn't how the system was designed, nor does it produce any data of any meaningful value, but that's another rant). They then wave a magical statistical wand at the number which shouldn't have existed in the first place, and decide that is the score that that specific child should achieve on the new tests (Yes, I know they're measured on different scales, against different curricula, using an entry data set of 3 numbers - the old levels 1-3 - against a final data set of 40 - the arbitrary band of numbers from 80-120 - but that's yet another rant)

So, each child has a contrived start point and a guestimated end target. Each child is required to make the 'expected' progress. If the school has too many children who don't meet the nonsensical targets then they are 'coasting', which results in a visit from either the regional schools commissioner or OFSTED.

Thanks to the relevant and meaningful data breakdowns supplied by Raise online, it will be clear if the level 3 children in year 2 didn't meet their inflated expectations on the magical number scale and the school will have some explaining to do, almost certainly guaranteeing it as an action point on next years SIP.

All this could be avoided with a few intense interventions over the next few months. Simple.

emmat34 and dunnocks like this.
  6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

might as well role a dice ....

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

To be honest if children gained a level three in year 2 and are just scraping into expected now, they haven't done much in year 3 and 4. To prevent you having the same problem next year, work needs to be done on the quality of English teaching there. NOT interventions, just challenging lessons.

Other than that, just get these children reading for pleasure...a lot! To have scored a level three, they must have been keen readers when in KS1 and so can be again. Run a book club / library club and discuss literature with them. Make it enjoyable.

If you are running this four days a week, I'm assuming this will take over from their usual reading sessions? Sort of an extension group? Run it like a book club. Set them passages to read at home and discuss and analyse in the sessions. Use exam questions to guide your discussion, but not to get them right and wrong.