1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading Intervention at KS3

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by elena1234, Jun 29, 2019.

1. elena1234

elena1234 New commenter

I have been asked to deliver a reading intervention to whole classes of between 15 to 28 students.
    For some classes, reading ages can range from 15:00 to 6:00.
    One lesson each week.
    As a SEND Teacher I am used to planning interventions based around individual assessments. For those with lower reading ages - it is unclear if their literacy delays are due to gaps in their knowledge of phonics or are language / comprehension related.
    I haven't been provided with the focus of this intervention or any resources. Should I expect to be provided with these?
    Feeling quite lost...…
    Does anyone have any ideas / thoughts that I could try and pull together by the end of term as I have to submit a medium term plan for Y7 through to Y9.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Your brief makes no sense to me. Seems to me there is a gap in a timetable which needs filling ? Is this for the new academic year or until the end of term ? Assume one lesson is 60 minutes ? Will you have to report to parents on this session ? The only way forward I feel is to use an IT programme which students can access individually ( particularly given the span of the reading ages ) and with the support of a couple of additional adults you can ' monitor '. So you can have a starting point and demonstrate 'improvement ' ? If you are to be accountable for the students' progress I would be requesting very specific information re their ' reading ' difficulties ie accuracy, comprehension, fluency and what has been tried in the past, by whom and for how long ? You need to need to be very skilled in YOUR questioning of the rationale / impact criteria of your input or your planning will be without worth ..... and I would start by unpicking the term ' intervention ' which to my mind is inappropriate given the numbers of which you speak ? The phrase 'poisoned chalice' springs to mind. Good Luck

NIHistoryTeacher likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I thought the idea of "interventions" was to bring those who were falling behind up to where they should be.

Would it be acceptable for you to provide the strong readers with suitable books and leave them to it? Pushing them into reading something meatier than they might otherwise choose seems the most useful intervention, and that would free you up to work more with the weaker ones. If leaving them just to read is unacceptable, perhaps you could begin to put together a few questions for each book, so that they have to look up some of the more unusual vocabulary, and respond to the content - nothing to be formally marked, but just so that there's a little more drawn out of their reading.
    The English department might be able to provide some help with a list of suitable books - especially ones they have multiple copies of but are not currently using in any year group.

4. elena1234

elena1234 New commenter

Can I thank you both for posting?
    I think I've decided to go back to the SLT and ask what the rationale is behind this and how they intend to resource this intervention.
    We have an OFSTED looming as we are in RI - perhaps that explains everything..... so I'm not expecting much.
    Still feeling a bit lost and vulnerable....

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I was in a school in Measures for years ! Literacy was always the focus for HMI and I can assure you we had to be far more creative and strategic than just allocating a lesson to a SEND teacher ..... sounds like tokenism to me .... imagine you are the Inspector ... what kind of questions would you be asking ?What do the school policy documents say about intervention ? Good Luck

6. elena1234

elena1234 New commenter

Can I thank you for posting? It really helped to focus the kind of questions I needed to. The rationale behind these reading lessons is to promote reading for pleasure as much as possible. We have asked for additional funding for Accelerated Reading and they are going to resource First News for me to use with these classes. The rest of my timetable will be to plan and complete intervention either 1:1 / small groups once I've assessed them. Feeling much more positive..... Once again many, many thanks.

minnie me likes this.
  7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

That sounds rather more rational.