1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading intervension

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by lorna1982, Nov 3, 2017.

1. lorna1982

lorna1982 New commenter

Hi guy's,

What reading schemes do you use for KS3? Need ideas! Readers at KS2 level but need in intervention that works with 'street wise kids'

TIA

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

It's such a shame we can't edit thread titles.

3. factresearch

factresearch New commenter

You could use accelerated Reader. You have to subscribe.
    Barrington Stoke is an excellent publisher for high interest level/ low ability books for many ages.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2017
    pepper5 and galerider123 like this.
  4. factresearch

factresearch New commenter

I meant Accelerated Reader.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

.. And ask politely that requests for support do not start with ' guys ' ( what did folk say before adopting this Americanism ? ;) ) whilst demonstrating misuse of the apostrophe ...

peter12171 and needabreak like this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Some of the mistakes in posts are tipping errors. Oh.. I meant typing errors. I used to do a lot of typing for my husband and he enjoyed pointing out all the tipping errors.

needabreak likes this.
  7. lorna1982

lorna1982 New commenter

Thanks Fact research ! I have contacted Accelerated Reader!

I have had brain surgery, just back at work after a year off....
    excuse my literacy is poor; I have SCOLP and dyslexia! What's your excuse?

pepper5 likes this.
  8. needabreak

It wasn't a personal slant just an observation. I'm known for epic typo's myself... fat fingers, poor eyesight and attention to detail in my case. Your conditions must make your job quite a challenge, all the best.

9. needabreak

Folk? :D:D:D

pepper5 likes this.
  10. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Indeed ! ...yes I get it - ha !

needabreak likes this.
  11. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Lorna1982

What is SCOLP? Trust you are getting well after your brain surgery.

12. tb9605

tb9605 New commenter

Accelerated Reader is good, but requires a huge buy in and not just in terms of resources - the whole school really needs to buy in, because there needs to be time allocated to it on the timetable - 20 mins a day.

Have you done any diagnosis of the students' issues, as they may require different approaches?

Reader Leader is a good, holistic approach that involves older students mentoring the weaker readers - this obviously suceeds/fails on the commitment levels of the older students.
    Lexia is an adaptive, online tool that is great for students who still have issues with phonics and blending.
    Inference works more at building comprehension and, funnily enough, inference skills - small groups (4) plus teacher/TA.

There's also Read Write Inc, Literacy Box and Toe by Toe, though I am less familiar with these.

Good luck.