1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading independently some advice please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mystery10, Feb 21, 2011.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

One of my children is close to 7 years old, but does very little reading to herself. Is this something I should be concerned about or not? I was an avid reader myself at that age so it puzzles me.
    She reads well and enjoys reading aloud to me. Currently we are sharing the reading each evening of the Wishing Chair collection by Enid Blyton. I read a page, she reads a page. She wants to do this every evening - she asks to do it, she chose the book and she always wants to do more than there is time for.
    But she has rarely picked up a book to read to herself - with the exception of a joke book. She can read silently in her head, but does little of this.
    I read out loud at other times of day, she has plenty of choice of books of all types, all levels of complexity, toddler upwards, lots of appealing things on the shelves. She has also always enjoyed sitting down for long period of time listening to pretty complex material (relative to her age that is, not War and Peace!) in unabridged audiobooks.
    Will this just change with time, am I doing something wrong, or are there some people who just never sit there and read to themselves to entertain themselves and I have produced one of them?

2. I wouldn't worry about it. My son was not interested in reading until recently (10 years old) and is now obsessed with Harry Potter, Wmpy Kid, etc. books.
    If she is reading pages from Enid Blyton at 7 I would be even less worried. [​IMG]

3. Hi
    I agree with the other poster. My son also enjoyed sharing books with me. He was reading independently before he started school at 4 1/2 having basically taught himself with encouragemnt but certainly no pressure. Like you, we took turns reading books until he was around 12 years old when he gradually took over reading to himself..
    He is now 21 and an avid reader - he much prefers non fiction but always has a book on the go
    Enjoy your time reading together - it will pass soon enough.

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

stop worrying, I wish the children in my class had this much support and encouragement at home. Your child sounds like a super reader and will soon start making their own choices for reading on their own. Enjoy!!

5. If it was me I would let her loose in Waterstones and see if she comes back with something to read. Say to her I am going to choose a book why dont you look over there!
    If she comes back with something she like then she is very likely to read it!

6. My son was like that until he discovered the Dr. Who books.
    I also remember him and his older sister who was an exceptionally good reader
    liking to climb into bed with us at weekends and during school holidays
    and asking to be read to until they were nearly 10.
    Have u taken your daughter to a library and let her choose books herself?

7. Some people never quite get the hang of reading on their own for pleasure. My sister, a bright, well educated, articulate woman with a diploma for teaching dyslexic children - so presumably some-one with a pretty high functional literacy level NEVER read for pleasure as a child ... indeed it was the cry of our childhood "Oh Emma! Don't read!" As an adult she only ever read chick-lit. Don't panic, it sounds as though you are doing all of the right things. If you are providing your daughter with lots of opportunities to read - and it sounds as though you are - and she is enjoying the reading that she is doing - and it sounds as though she is - enjoy!
    (PS The only thing that I might consider is screen time. My children have severely limited computer/wii/x-box time so have to read or just stare at the walls!!!! Also, if we go out to a restuarant they are allowed to take a book to read but not electronic entertainment although we often play family games such as Bananagrams or Uno instead.)

8. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Thank you for all your replies. I'll just bide my time and see what happens. It's good to hear of people's experiences with children where the reading by oneself for pleasure has not taken place until much later, but has still happened.. She does have choice in bookshops and libraries, and not much screentime, it just seems like reading on her own is not a choice she would ever make at the minute - a jigsaw, or drawing, or lego, yes, but not reading.
    I just feel it's a shame if it happens at a relatively high age, or never, because there is so much scope for learning lost!! But it's never too late I suppose, that's just my impatience and timescales and I can't impose those on anyone else.