1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading in Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ExploringDora, Jun 21, 2015.

1. I am new to year 1, can you tell me how often you listen to the children read in class and how often you tend to change their reading books, we use oxford reading tree.

2. vannie

vannie Star commenter

There will probably be as many answers to this as there are Year 1 teachers but this is what I do ..... The two most able groups read once a week with me and have lots of independent activities for the rest of the time during guided reading. The poorer readers read with me twice a week. Quite early in the Autumn term we see who isn't reading with an adult at home and target them for more 1 - 1 reading: they have Y5 / Y6 reading buddies and extra lunchtime reading with me or one of the TA's. We send the guided reading book and a free choice book home on a Friday. Hope this helps you.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We don't do guided reading (with any year group not just Y1) but we do Big Reading which is a whole class lesson in addition to 1-1 reading (every child reads with me at least once a week usually twice and target children are heard daily by me and sometimes by the HLTA if she's available) and daily reading in phonics lessons

books are changed every day and we use Dandelion books as our main reading scheme in reception and Y1 at this point most children have finished the scheme

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

How do you find the time to read with each child so often, Msz? How long does each child get with you? I really struggle with this and find it takes up a lot of time.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It helps that I only have 15 this year but I use assembly time and lunch breaks

Children reading scheme books read the whole book while children on chapter books read one or two chapters depending on length.

6. I bow in awe of you amazing person. Not sure i'd manage that. I'm new to ks1 and have year one next year... eager for advice

7. Wonderwoman1

Wonderwoman1 New commenter

At our school besides the teacher, TA we have parents who come in on a regular basis to hear children read.