1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading - Improving Higher level readers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by PAArmstrong, Dec 12, 2011.

1. I hope you can help me. I am an NQT who has a higher level writing group, though there reading is good/ok their verbal comprehension skills are not in line with their writing
    TPaul

2. I hope you can help me. I am an NQT who has a higher level writing group, though there reading is good/ok their verbal comprehension skills are not in line with their writing
    TPaul

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Are you looking to improve reading or writing? It's not clear from your post.
    Can we assume from your post that these are Year 5, then? If they're struggling to get above Level 3, they're not 'higher level' readers.
    If their comprehension is poor, they are not good readers. Decoding is only one part of reading. Beyond Level 3, the decoding element is barely focused on at all.
    Don't use schemes to teach reading. Have a good look at the assessment focuses for reading with examples of the type of questions you might adapt and use to question and therefore identify teaching areas for development. Ask your mentor and English coordinator for guidance as well.
    It's also 'their', not 'there'.

4. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I don't work in Levels but the resource at

Normal

https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6048490 and the second part of it and associated bookmark are all aimed at this sort of problem and were written for a youngster in Yr4. See what you think. (If Normal 0 appears, I don't know where it came from!)

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Show them the criteria for getting a level 4. Hey presto! They're not mind readers and you cannot afford for them to accidently hit on a level 4 response.