1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading - how do you inspire reluctant readers?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lollyxx, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Hi all - happy summer hols!!
    We are having a real push on reading in our school from sept, as although we have very high standards of reading comprehension, the kids don't have a real passion for reading and we'd love to change that.
    So - do you do anything specific to give reading for pleasure a real focus??
    Thanks in advance xxx

2. We invited Jeremy Strong in and he was fantastic. His books cover a great age range and he was the most enthusiastic author we've had in school. Well worth a booking!

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I have a reading tree in my classroom and each time a child reads a book they have really enjoyed they add a leaf. We also have an 'author of the year' award. My class voted for their favourite and then wrote a letter to them during Big Writing. We go to the local library once every few weeks where they run their own challenges which has also helped!

4. Like the reading tree idea - will definitely do that! Will also look into J Strong - thanks for the tip! xx

5. I like the reading tree too and will squeeze it in somewhere - not many display boards in my new room - hooray!

6. We get the Book People in for a book fair - they usually do a big assembly and talk about the best picks and its always a massive success - loads of children looking at and buying great books that they actually want to take home and read - the school even gets a % of the money raised to buy more books for school. I dare say 90% of the children in school were thrilled for the week the fair was in and were extremely excited about the reading and books - it was lovely to see!
    I also have a reading for enjoyment session once a week where chn can bring in comics, magazines, annuals and free choice books (all suitable of course!) My class are Y6 and they love it.

7. aw27

aw27 New commenter

Give 'em a tenner for every book they read...[​IMG]

8. Ooooh love the reading tree idea - will make one for my new class this year.

Thank you for posting!

9. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

Like the reading tree idea. We haven't much space, but the children made hot air balloons (cut outs more recently but we used to make papier mache balloons) with a basket beneath to hang from the ceiling. The children added people to their basket - labelled as the books they had read.