1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading Groups

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by TEACHER16, Sep 5, 2011.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

How many reading groups do you have? When do you do reading? Do you do it during another subject? I have four reading groups and find it really hard to fit them all in. I am looking for some actitivites to speed reading up and activiites for children to complete relating to this while I am hearing other groups and ideas of what to do so I am not just listening to them read...any ideas please. I am new to teacher so am looking for guidance thankyou.

2. It's impossible to work with four reading groups in one session and to do anything more than "hear" their reading. Focus more on quality and build in opportunities for children to practise reading aloud but not necessarily with you. Plan your lessons so that over a week you are working directly with 2, or a maximum of 3, groups each day while the others work through a programme of reading related activities. It takes a bit of training but even young classes will manage it. Pupils can still practise reading aloud with a classroom assistant, a parent helper or a reading buddy. My P2s love doing "back to back" reading and because they're not facing each other they have to read really clearly! Spread them around the classroom if you haven't got an adult to help. Other activities might be doing a word hunt where they have to write down all the words in their reading book with 5 letters or all the words that start with a capital; bingo type games to reinforce sight vocabulary; making a selection of sight words with playdough; reading games on the computer or IWB. The Highland Literacy Project has some fab ideas for follow up activities - just do a Google search, I highly recommend it. And reading workbooks still have a place as a "job' to be completed. I start a session by quickly explaining what each group has to do and finish by getting together to discuss what's been done. This has the added benefit of letting children see how a particular job is done. Working this way should let you spend more time on developing specific reading skills with the groups you work directly with then circulate around the class supporting any children who need extra help. Finally as reading is so important I would not attempt to do it during any other subject. Hope this helps!

3. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Have you got an example of a reading plan that you could please send me to look at please? As I only work part time I feel I have a lot to do in very little time and so its hard finding a slot in the time table to give reading its own slot if that makes sense.

4. I have 4 groups. We do reading until break. I work with each group every day Monday to Thursday. While I am with a group the other children rotate round stations. One is a word building activity linked to phonics. Another is a handwriting task. Another is spelling fry words. I am still finding my feet with this and training them to do different stations. So I have three activities plus me which they move round. It's a hard slog but hopefully we will get there. I do things like scrambling sentences from their reading books for them sequence, bingo games, sequencing events from the story, finding words with ..... And talking about different sounds (eg ai, ay and a-e) and finding examples of each. This is with me. I currently have no support and thirty primary twos! I would also appreciate ideas for stations I could have while reading as we are being encouraged not tonu workbooks!

5. Let me know when you crack this! 30 P7 pupils with no support and 6 reading groups in open plan. Can't get round them all, some totally skive off independent or paired work. I would be delighted to try out the ideas on this thread. Just because kids get bigger does not make teaching easier.....

6. P5 class with 22 pupils, 9 SfL included (!!) and I also have 4 groups od different sizes. Have trained them in Reciprocal Reading, all groups can work independently, CA works with one group while I work with another, 2 independently, then rotate.
    Activities set such as summarise the main points of a chapter, clarify 5 words on page **, make up 3 'fat questions' for your elbow partner, and then answer each other's in a detailed sentence. Use Reading Skills books too occasionally, (Ginn 360 scheme), and yes, I also teach reading across the curriculum as part of literacy, eg summarising a passage in Social Subjects, predicting what a text in any subject is likely to be about.
    Also read together in literacy project, a class novel, sitting in a circle with whiteboards, get the pupils to provide another word for one in the text, show me, modelling reading aloud, predict what is going to happen next. Class enjoys it, and I can assess their skills immediately. NO MARKING!!!!

Go on, check out Reciprocal Reading - it improves their understanding really well, the whole purpose of reading surely.