1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading Groups

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TEACHER16, Sep 5, 2011.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

How many reading groups do you have? When do you do reading? Do you do it during another subject? I have four reading groups and find it really hard to fit them all in. I am looking for some actitivites to speed reading up and activiites for children to complete relating to this while I am hearing other groups and ideas of what to do so I am not just listening to them read...any ideas please. I am new to teacher so am looking for guidance thankyou.

2. Have you asked anyone in school aboutthe expectations? I have 5 groups and guided reading is timetables in every day with me and my ta. Guided reading isn't about listening to them read. You need to be guiding them through the different AFs depending on the text an level of the children.

3. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

I have 6 reading groups and carry out guided reading in the literacy slot on Monday mornings. Myself and a TA both listen to groups and if they are involved in the guided reading then they are completing tasks eg group 1- writing news, group 2- computer activity, usually expresso or education city linked to sentence/ word LO which we have looked at previously, Group 3 Responding to reading activity usually taken from those suggested on the lancashire website and ggroup 4 really reading and completing a book review ready to give feedback by my random selection at the end of the session. I teach year 2 and the children quilckly learn that this is a quiet lesson and all tasks need to be completed. It is a good idea to ask for advice at school but don't worry. As long as you give it the time it requires so you are not rushing then hopefully you will learn to enjoy these session- the children always seem really content during these session. Hope this helps and good look with your new post

4. I have 5 groups + a couple of individuals. My system is similar to Jen above (also year 2), except that my guided reading takes place every day after lunch - those children not reading will be doing tasks such as those Jen suggested.

5. I am a retired head turned reseacher, currently organising a Y6 literacyresearch project in which reading groups is a key component. A large number of schools are already participating - details are at http://research2012.blogspot.com All children, including vulnerable readers, prepare a text and then all children take turns at reading their prepated texts to their own table groups on a daily basis. These texts may be dictation or other reading exercises. this is a strategy proven in a pilot project to raise all predicted Level 3 English to Level 4! These texts are freely available at www.schoolwork.bz using the entry code nor789ty
    Hope this helps.

6. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

So you teach it individaully and all children complete the same tasks? At the moment I am hearing reading every day...different groups but in another lesson if that makes sense.