1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading groups and paper work

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Chatterbox1607, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Chatterbox1607

Chatterbox1607 New commenter

When you are listening to children read do you have a daily diary of how they got on? Do you complete anything like this while the children are reading? When you are completing reading jotters/ diaries for children to take home which has recorded the next set of pages to read do you write in it how children have got on?

2. Chatterbox1607

Chatterbox1607 New commenter

When you are listening to children read do you have a daily diary of how they got on? Do you complete anything like this while the children are reading? When you are completing reading jotters/ diaries for children to take home which has recorded the next set of pages to read do you write in it how children have got on?

3. You should only need to record any exceptions - anyone doing very well or struggling. I do this in my evaluations rather than in a specific reading log. Every school has a different way of doing things, but that is standard in mine.
    Also, we don't listen to children read. Reading is done in a 3 part rotation.
    Day 1 they get ready to read - read over pages themselves then with a partner, note down any new or interesting words, check words in a dictionary, read round the group and discuss the "big ideas".
    Day 2 they have a guided reading session with the teacher - lots of open quesitons about the pages read, discuss author's ideas, word choice etc and set any homework.
    Day 3 they do a writing task connected with their book.
    Short answer is no.