1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading glasses

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I have worn glasses/contact lenses for short sightedness for about 30 years. There was always a small pay-back in that I could see well close up as a side effect of being short-sighted. Now however my eyes have caught onto this and have managed to become short and long sighted at the same time. So when I wear contact lenses my arms are becoming too short and so I need reading glasses.
    Off the shelf ones fortunately rather than more prescription ones.
    So off I went to Boots, £20-£30, then Tesco £3-£9. So I don't have a clue what to do. Any suggestions / recommendations from people who use off-the-peg reading glasses?

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I have worn glasses/contact lenses for short sightedness for about 30 years. There was always a small pay-back in that I could see well close up as a side effect of being short-sighted. Now however my eyes have caught onto this and have managed to become short and long sighted at the same time. So when I wear contact lenses my arms are becoming too short and so I need reading glasses.
    Off the shelf ones fortunately rather than more prescription ones.
    So off I went to Boots, £20-£30, then Tesco £3-£9. So I don't have a clue what to do. Any suggestions / recommendations from people who use off-the-peg reading glasses?

3. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

I prefer to get them made up to my prescription rather that rely on generic specs from the retailers you mention. Should cause less damage in the long run.

4. I have still got to get my a.rse into gear and get some, as I need some - but I would be very wary of the very cheap off the peg ones, as I know a few people who have used them and they are a) naff and b) can make your eyes worse.
    I'd at least go for the Boots ones, assuming you know what dioptren (I bet you say summat different for that in English) you need. I only need 0,5 as yet.
    Don't you have something like Fielmann in the UK?

5. That is what Fielmann does - but they are basically "off-the-peg" glasses. Prices are about what mangle quotes for Boots - or just higher.

6. inq

inq

I've got vari-focal glasses and I think you can get varifocal contact lenses (I could be wrong). Mr Inq has off the shelf, Tesco, cheap reading glasses as he knew the prescription and the optician said that would be fine.

7. anteater

anteater New commenter

I've been short sighted since I was a kid, but recently noticed that I couldn't read tiny print any more. Spent a fortune buying proper prescription glasses from the optician, but to be perfectly honest, I never wear them! The times I'd most need them (eg, reading the tiny print on some cooking instructions, they are never to hand, as I've sensibly put them on my desk upstairs) - I just take off my regular glasses and hold the writing about two centimetres from my eye.
    Maybe as it gets worse I'll have to wear the reading glasses, but I regret spending the money. I don't think off the peg reading glasses are going to do any harm to your eyes.The worst that can happen is that you won't be able to see any better, in which case you wouldn't wear them anyway!

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have always been long-sighted, so short-arm syndrom cam eto me in my late 30s.
    I buy my glasses from Primark at &pound;2 a pair and have a number of pairs scattered around the place (bed, 'puter, kitchen, sitting room, car, classroom etc) so I am never without as I cannot see <u>with</u> glasses to move from one place to another!

9. When I still wore single vision contact lens, I remember paying &pound;70 for a pair of ready readers from an optician-then managed to get an almost identical pair-with a dark tint for reading in the garden for &pound;25 online. Main requirement for ready readers seems to be strong hinges to cope with all the times you take them on and off-as long as you keep the lens clean your vision should be fine. If you have the wrong strength you risk damage to your back or neck if you lean in too close to read say from a computer.
    As for contact lens; yes you can get bifocal or varifocal contact lens-I have worn pure vision multifocals for several years now. There are several other brands -acuvue make one and focus I think too. I also think that large chain opticians like specsavers do their own brand as well
    I suggest you do an internet search to see what brands are available and then go back to your contact lens provider and ask about them.
    I go to an opticians here in the NW called Conlons-I actually tried several brands free of charge (taking a different pair away each week) before settling on the purevision-I have also changed strengths as I needed more reading prescription.
    One word of caution-you might have to try several brands before you find one that suits you-the multi/bi- focal bit seems to work differently with different brands of lenses-for instance I found that the Acuvue multifocals were very comfortable but that I had double vision and couldn't read road signs (good job Mr Cool was driving at the time [​IMG] )

10. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Reading glasses have been the bane of my life for the past 15 years since I found I needed them. I did the Boots thing, then Specsavers after the Boots ones broke, then Morrisons...
    I lose them, the lenses fall out or get scratched, the bits that hang over my ears break off or lose their screws. I've got dozens of broken pairs of glasses.
    A couple of weeks ago in Maidstone I passed by the Poundshop where my friend advised me he gets his glasses from. I bought ten pairs at &pound;1 each to keep me going and I'd say they are as good as any others I've bought.

11. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

I wear contact lenses and when I told my optician that I was struggling to read in some situations she told me what strenght of reading glasses I needed and I cont 3 pairs form costco for about &pound;15. When I found that I need to wear them more often my optician suggested that I try lenses with different prescriptions one eye is for reading and the other for distance and it bizarre though this might sound it works wonderfully.

12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Cheapo reading glasses are fine if they help you. I use mine for reading and have had to for a few years now. i keep a pair round my neck on a string when at work for reading and marking.