1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading for Writing Area

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Senora Alcaide, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Senora Alcaide

Senora Alcaide New commenter

Hello!
    I am looking for some ideas/resources for my classroom. I am KS2 leader, teaching a Y5/6 class of 31 children.
    I have a huge range of abilities and personalities in the class and have found this term to be quite challenging as there are many children who need support in some way. I am trying to develop a new approach to teaching this class, as my tried and tested methods don't seem to be getting anywhere!
    We have decided to take a 'Foundation Stage' approach to the planning for next term, such that the children will have lots of different activities to work on throughout the day in 'areas' of the classroom. This is all to encourage and inspire their writing, particularly the boys.
    Our topic is WWII and so far we have: the class library, a writing area (for teacher lead activities), a WWII investigation station (hist/geog based activities), an arts area, a role play area and spaces for adult lead basic skills groups.
    However, our school focus is reading and I want to get this in as much as possible. All the areas so far have some link to reading. I would really like to have an area which is focussed on reading for writing, but I am at a loss as to how to go about this - to ensure it is as exciting and interesting as the other areas.
    Any suggestions/resources would be great!
    Thanks!

2. Senora Alcaide

3. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Wow, that sounds ambitious! Good luck! Sorry but I don't know if I can offer any advice, but wanted to respond as I know how frustrating it is when you post but get no replies!
    Erm...so do you want them to have reading tasks to do with WWII? Could you link it some how to morse code or some sort of communication station?? E.g despatching troops? Sorry that's probably really naff. Anne Franks diary? Research? Letters to/from evacuees?

[​IMG]

4. Hi,
    Im probably not the best to offer advice on this, being a FS trained NQT!
    I will however ask my very experienced Y5/6 colleagues tomorrow.

Thanks again for Tudor plan [​IMG]

5. natbar

natbar New commenter

Hi,
    I don't know if this will help but i'm really interested in your new set-up so wanted to help if I could. My son has read some varible ending books that he got from the local library, I think the WW2 one was called code-breaker, the child had to choose the next scenario from the options given, some lead to death or imprisonment. This really kept him engaged with the book as he wanted to 'win' he is only 8 and he could deal with the vocab with a little support (great for L.A)
    How about diary entries from soliders/postcards/letters home (soliders and evacuees) newspaper aticles.
    Can I ask how you are going to teach maths? I noticed that you are having a teacher lead literacy area, are you doing this for maths too?
    Thanks

6. Senora Alcaide

Hi,
    Thanks that's really interesting. I'll have a look at the books. The problem is, with having a role play area, an investigation area and a writing area a lot of the obvious WWII writing links are covered there. I am trying to avoid repetition and wanted to focus the area on writing coming directly from the reading. I think those books may help this. I have class sets of 'Goodnight Mr. Tom,' but was not sure how accessible they would be to some of the LA, particularly as this will be an independent activity.
    With maths, we already set the children into 5 smaller groups taken by myself, my TAs and 2 other teachers. So in effect, although the sessions are always teacher led, there isn't a dedicated 'maths' area.
    Hope this helps, feel free to ask anymore questions - it is still a work in progress!

7. Senora Alcaide

8. natbar

natbar New commenter

Forgot to say..don't forget the non fiction books. I always find boys LOVE those, the works sell loads quite cheap, they have real photos to inspire the chn and really give a true feel of what it was like. How about poetry from soliders? I think there are quite alot of those around too. Good luck let us know how you get on!

9. have you used the bbc ww2 peoples war resource. you could use some of these stories to aid writing.The stories are amazing and quite often there are pictures as well. The area could have a story which could be used to inspire all sorts of writing. Maybe after reading a story about evacuation the children could write home to the actual family from the story. stories about the blitz could be turned into diary entries or time lines (appropriate pictures could help those less able).some rationing stories could lead to a wartime cookbook activity. international friendship to penpal letters etc
    real stories linked to real photos .
    also as well as reading for writing what about reading then constructing. Instructions on building anderson shelters could lead to building models, reading about army uniforms and weapons could lead to to children making costumesthen annotating if you want to include writing.
    hope that helps. Once the children have made something they are often quite ahppy to write about what they did.

10. Sounds wonderful! When I last had Y6 I had a yellow submarine for my role play but it was in the 80's!
    Here is a poem you could have in your role play it is by Roger McGough
    You could try to get copies of original packaging from the period to have around so children read. Also comics will engage your boys.