1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading for Pleasure for boys in KS1 and KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lebarlow2911, Mar 8, 2016.

1. lebarlow2911

lebarlow2911 New commenter

I am currently completing an assignment that is concerned with boys of different ages and reading for pleasure. I was wondering, does anyone else school have creative action plans in place, that encourage boys to read. In my school, we currently have;
    - lad/dad mentors
    - male authors
    - library time
    etc.
    Any ideas would be great (outside the box)

TIA

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

They way they are brought up in the home is a problem..my grandson will read anything on mine craft.but not standard reading books. So books which are popular
    Boys love non fiction
    Use of newspapers they enjoy.the ones made especially for children are good.
    They need short bursts and with good interest levels..
    In the past I have found they also need time to be quiet and reading quietly is important.as is regular swapping of books and even better if you have read them and they can discuss the contents with you in an enthusiastic way.Its catching their enthusiasm and careful suggestions of what they might like to try reading. and follow eg a series. They aklso love humourous books.
    They also love quizzes,crosswords and solving problems..
    I have used boy to boy working
    One person informing a group
    Using older boys to read to younger children
    Letting them chose say a class reader and be instrumental in introducing it

Kartoshka and snowflakesfalling like this.