1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading for enjoyment

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sandsplace, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Just wondering what you do for reading at home when children can read fluently. I feel we teach reading in class through guided and shared reading / reading detectives etc so for reading at home the chn are encouraged to read what they want - there are generic activities for follow up during independent working time.
    Problem is some parents want us to set books/ chapters/ number of pages etc. can't get the message across that it's reading for enjoyment.

2. We don't set books to read at home once they reach a competent, confident reading ability. However they all have a chance to visit the school library and change their personal choice of reading books so they can read those at home.
    I agree with you that it should be for enjoyment once a certain level has been reached.

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

How completely bizarre!
    I suppose you could always set them a book at bedtime and see if they get the message!! (OH enjoyed reading the Indian in the Cupboard to DS2 recently...)

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Tell those parents to stick it.

Seriously though, don't bow to them and set books. Let the children pick from the library a book they want to read. Or if they have something suitable at home, let them read that.

5. Parent (at parents' evening): What should I get my son to read at home?
    Me: Anything he likes. Newspapers, magazines, internet, instructions, the back of a cereal packet. Whatever he wants to read.
    Parent: Does that count as reading?

6. Thanks for replies- it's reassuring. They want us to buy in a scheme for upper school. Chn are reading beautifully - there is really nothing to worry about but.... I feel I'm banging my head against a brick wall. Going to run a workshop to show what guided and shared reading entails - fingers crossed that works. Can anyone direct me to a site/list of books for various age groups that I could direct parents to (have highland site) I personally wouldn't limit children but parents want us to tell them what is appropriate / suitable for their child to read! Have tried saying they know their child best/ visit library etc but not working.

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

8. I hope parents are encouraged to hear their children read aloud - and that this also continues at school throughout primary.
    I suggest that teachers and parents might be shocked if they were aware as to how many children skip over words in their books or read inaccurately - even where they get the gist of the text.

9. Marlin - thanks for link - will pass that to parents.
    Debbie, I agree and we have ERIC slots where chn are encouraged to read aloud to us or each other- with expression and following punctuation cues.

10. Really? I don't think reading should be a performance; it should be for pleasure and therefore, when they get to a certain level, children shouldn't be made to read aloud unless they want to, as long as they show good understanding of a text. I sometimes miss out words when I read and also skim and scan whole paragraphs if I'm getting a bit bored of the storyline. I read every night before bed and have come to accept that not all books are particularly well written and that I can follow the plot even if I don't read every single word. My Y2 daughter recently achieved a level 3 in her February and May SATs. She loves books and thoroughly enjoys reading aloud; she reads fluently and with lovely expression and currently enjoys reading to us and her younger sister but I doubt we'll still be hearing her read regularly when she gets to Y4. I teach Y4 and agreed with the parents of the more able children at parents evenings this year that they don't need to hear them read regularly any more. I suggested that they read ahead and discuss the book with their child instead (but I acknowledge that I teach in an area where most of the parents love books, spend time with their kids and enjoy their company - and that this isn't the norm!).

11. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I can see that many parents will want some kind of guidance as to how to encourage their children to read good stuff at home ....... and some inkling as to what good stuff is. Yes sure reading the cereal packet and the instruction booklets, and the Beano, and the newspaper, and the internet etc is all great, and reading is reading. But I'm sure that school and home can in some way influence the quantity and quality of what children read ------- but of course a reading scheme for KS2 is not the way forward.
    Every child will of course have their own personal tastes, but it is nice if from time to time children read something because their friends enjoyed reading it. It has the added benefit that they might talk about it a little to one another, buy one another books as presents perhaps, unwittingly encourage one another to read more e.g. the Harry Potter phenomenon.
    Yes there is always the local library. But I always remember a relative of mine (generation above) who came from an extremely poor family, all avid readers, great users of the local library. She was still envious of her friend whose mother had filled up a bookshelf in her bedroom at home with classics which her friend just worked her way through. Although my relative was a great reader, she obviously felt her friend was "better read" due to the surreptitious guidance provided by the parent.
    There are some great websites for kids now aren't there e.g. Cool Reads - children have reviewed the books and it's quite well categorised for a child to be able to find something that might take their fancy. Films also inspire - I'm sure many children read Roald Dahl for example because they've seen a film of one of the books.
    You could maybe also suggest to parents that their children might not be keen on reading a certain genre of book - they might find it too hard going to read for themselves - but they could still have the benefit of the descriptive language and more sophisticated vocabulary by listening to the book on CD........ a good alternative to the parent having to read through tomes out loud at bedtime.

At a personal level I've told my year 2 daughter recently that there will come a time when I won't listen to her every day but we'll still sit together reading at bedtime, and I'll read the same books as her and we'll discuss them at times. She sounds keen on this but currently still asks to read aloud to me ......... I can see this fading out sometime in the next year as she's reaching the point of realisation that it is faster to read silently. As I also have to listen to DD2 more and more so it will be good if some kind of transition is made.
    I can see a time when the three of us will do shared out loud reading from time to time and make it a little dramatic in some way. But I'm sure I won't be slavishly listening to them both every night. I hope not to get in too much trouble with school!!