1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading Diaries Help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kaz_allan, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Hi my Head wants to introduce reading diaries from september. Can anyone share how they manage this and where they buy their reading diaries from? I am keen to sort this out ASAP as staff feel it will be too much work for them - any ideas would be great.
    Thanks all

2. Hi my Head wants to introduce reading diaries from september. Can anyone share how they manage this and where they buy their reading diaries from? I am keen to sort this out ASAP as staff feel it will be too much work for them - any ideas would be great.
    Thanks all

3. What do you use at the moment?
    Are these to be used for every year group?
    Only for reading or for all homework and other communication to and from parents?

4. Hi

We don't use anything other than a small card with a traffic lights smiley face for parents to fill in how they felt about the book. We want all years groups to use a reading diary as a record but also as a communication to and from parents about their childs reading.

thanks for your help.

5. We use the basic yellow ones you get in spa or hope - they're not that dear. I had a yr 2 / 3 class last year and me or TA would fill in reading homework for the week every friday in evryone's book - pretty tedious! Some parents are very good at recording what their children thought about the books, others didn;t bother at all. It was a shame as teh ones who've bothered, or children have written their comments look really good and are a nice record to have. We pass the reading records up to the next teacher at the end of the year. In years 4,5 and 6 they just get their reading HW written on a bookmark and a parent sometimes signs it to say they've listened to their reading. PTS do beautiful reading records but they are pretty expensive.

6. sarahmilly

sarahmilly New commenter

We use basic reading records from YPO - inexpensive and easy to use.
    I fill in the reading book each day and parents comment/sign to say whether they have read at home. We also use it to pass messages to and from home/school.
    For other homework, I use A4 project files, also from YPO; the kind you place a punched piece of paper onto 2 prongs which fold back. I find this really easy, no sticking/writing in books etc... Also I tend to adapt the homework on the computer, so I just print it off and pop it in the folder.
    Hope this helps
    S

7. We used a variety of methods according to each teacher's preference until this year - parents wanted a more consistent approach - same book with space for their comments etc. The PTA felt quite strongly and so we asked them to look into a variety of resources - they did a very thorough job and got samples from loads of companies (they are even going to pay for them) we had the final say but none of our staff felt that strongly about what book to use. Web search on homework diaries will bring up companies selling.
    The books are to be for all homework, not just reading and as a means of communication. upper school chn will write in their own reading record and other homework tasks and parents will sign and comment on expression etc. Early years teachers will print off a slip and stick in book (although chn could write if able)
    Could be quite time consuming will nee'd to get children 'trained' in their effective use and have some systems in place to make sure we don't miss any all important communications from home (open on desk first thing in morning, or put in a tray if there's a message etc) ;-)

8. Sarah - I like this idea - parents also want homework books rather than individual sheets but can't bring myself to use a jotter to just stick another sheet of paper into... will look these up

9. We use lined A4 books which the children are allowed to cover how they like, so it's special to them. Front half we use for reading diary and back of book is home/school messages. We've done this for years so know it works.

10. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

We too use the basic yellow ones that someone else mentioned. The only draw back of these is that the children colour in the covers with what is general graffiti. The children write the date, page and title and a comment or the parent comments (usually read at home, good read child x). My daughter's school make their own with landscape A4 paper photocopied and and a coloured paper cover with school logo. When the children are in KS1 I often find messages in them from parents (sometimes polite, sometimes rude and sometimes not read for 3 days as I don't read with each child every single day).