1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading Day

Discussion in 'Primary' started by asher6249, May 1, 2012.

1. Hi, I am a secondary teacher but am involved with a Year 6 Reading Day. The students are below level 3 and am getting stuck for ideas. I teach Fresh Start Phonics with my Year 7's but wanted something a little more than a hours worth of Phonics.
    Does anybody have any ideas where i could start?
    Thanks and best wishes to anyone with any information that would spur me on

2. Hi, I am a secondary teacher but am involved with a Year 6 Reading Day. The students are below level 3 and am getting stuck for ideas. I teach Fresh Start Phonics with my Year 7's but wanted something a little more than a hours worth of Phonics.
    Does anybody have any ideas where i could start?
    Thanks and best wishes to anyone with any information that would spur me on

3. I'd suggest you start with speaking to the teacher(s) of the school(s) involved. You won't want to be planning anything similar to what they've done already. Ask what kind of activities they've done - eg for book week. What worked well? What did pupils enjoy? What would they do if they had more time? They'll probably have lots of suggestions that will help you get on the right track.