1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading David Walliams books to Year 5/6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pinktulip, Nov 20, 2011.

1. pinktulip

pinktulip New commenter

I have just heard an interview with David Walliams where he was promoting his new children's book. I was just wondering if anyone had read any of his children's books to their class (or just to themselves) and if they are suitable to read to year 5.
    Thanks.

2. Leicester_Vics

Leicester_Vics New commenter

I haven't read one to my class, but in Leicester we have a competition run by the local library service for the children to nominate "our best book" from a selection of 25 books chosen by the library.
    Last year "Mr Stink" was one of those books and my year 5/6 class nominated it into their top 3 out of the selection. In fact, thinking back, I'm sure I used it as a guided reading book with one of my groups. I don't remember there being any issues with unsuitability.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Our 1:1 tutor last year used Billionaire Boy as her writing support book, the children LOVED it!

4. pinktulip

pinktulip New commenter

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of starting with Billionaire Boy.
    Ordering it now!

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

My Year 5/6 love David Walliams. What a clever and funny guy!

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

There's a stage show of Mr Stink which hordes of very young children attend ---- a lot of the more sophisticated "politicial" humour is lost on them of course, but plenty of parents seem to think it's fine.
    My year 3 child enjoys reading it ........ but again some aspects are lost of course. But it's like lots of children's books used to be - something for the adults and something for the children. Some of the humour is very crude of course, but only of the fart smell and belch variety. Nothing like the Canterbury Tales of course.

7. Thanks for the tip-off Pinktulip. I wasn't aware that David Walliams had written any childrens books. I've just ordered Billionaire Boy for my 11 year old son for Christmas - he'll love it. When he's finished reading it I'll take it into school to read to my 5/6 class.

8. We read both Mr Stink and The Boy In The Dress to our year sixes and they really enjoyed them.They were a bit dubious about The Boy In The Dress initially, however they loved it once we got going. I would definitely use them again. I've just bought his new book, Gangsta Granny, as a Christmas present for my daughter and am trying to resist the urge to read it first !

9. I'm reading Mr Stink with my year 4 class... they love it! Read Billionaire Boy last year with another class. Can't wait to read the latest Walliams book!