1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading 'corners' / areas etc

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EcoLady, Sep 8, 2015.

1. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

We've got a modest budget to make our reading areas "more inviting". This prompted a very frank discussion about how they were used and what their purpose was.

What do you actually use your reading area for? Is it the bookcase, or are your pupils able to sit in there at times (when?) and read?

I've seen many pics of very pretty spaces... but do they actually encourage reading or do they become 'wallpaper' after a while?

Any tips for making it easy to change things without creating tonnes of extra work every time we change topic?

What works for you? Thanks :)

2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

My year 3 reading corner last year contained the bookcases and books yes. I also completely redecorated it for each book, but that's just me. It was used every day by a different group during guided reading; they used to love the opportunity to sit in there and read/look at any of the books whilst lounging on the rug and cushions. I'd advise spending your money on soft-furnishings to entice them in!

3. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

My advice: use the money to buy appealing books instead.

4. iccle_jen

iccle_jen New commenter

Sadly, having had Ofsted in on Tuesday....inspector actually mentioned the fact that 2 classrooms had no reading areas. I am in Y6 and use mine as part of my carousel for guided reading - we have author quotes in there, recommendations from the kids about books, opening first lines in literature....

I would like to say buy books too as I personally feel have much more impact but there's always that O hoop to jump through )-:

5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

We never had a reading corner the last time we had ofsted and it wasn't an issue. Currently we don't have space for a reading corner.

6. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

Thank you all.
    The irony is that we were all tasked with transferring our classroom books to a whole school library, from which we 'borrow' a class stash of 40-50 books that we change. Has the benefits of changing, but I hate not having as many books there.
    I might just accidentally gather extras each time we do a change...

7. MissJ81

MissJ81 New commenter

Gather extras of your own EcoLady, if you can.
    I have a comfortable (rugs and beanbags) book corner and it is used for children who show 'good' reading behaviours during ERIC time.We have been able to buy a vast range of books and I have added to that with books from the local charity shop. Luckily for me, they have a superb deal 5 books for £1 and these include beast quest etc. I think I will now also use it independent reading groups during guided reading as per previous posters comments. Great idea!

8. buzzylizzy

buzzylizzy New commenter

Encourage the children to make their own posters to put in the reading corner.

9. mrsbaggins

mrsbaggins New commenter

I made my reading area from those wooden batons that are used for DT. It's held together with staples, masking tape and construction paper. I've done this a few times in different corners and it's always been a success - my boys like to go and read quietly - you can't see but it has a big bookcase with 6 sections and the children have to look after it themselves. I do have 6 passes as it can get crowded. Here it is not quite finished - gives you lots of display space too. HTH, message me if you want advice. [​IMG]

10. mrsbaggins

mrsbaggins New commenter

\Here it is as a shed when we did growing - different corner, you can see the sofa inside [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. mrsbaggins

mrsbaggins New commenter

And here it is as a Viking feast hall - displaying children's work. This pic is also not finished, roof was straw.
    [​IMG]

12. mrsbaggins

mrsbaggins New commenter

I should also say, it has also become a preferred "safe space" for time outs.