1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading Corner Theme?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JCA_1989, May 30, 2012.

1. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

Hello there,
    I am moving into Year 2 next year and thankfully have quite a large room. I am wanting to create a reading area for the children, which will be used during guided reading and at various other times during the week.
    Since we teach in topics, it would be more beneficial to the children if this corner was tied in with this theme, but I am struggling for ideas. My first topic is 'Healthy Living' and as it is not a 'role play' area, I am discounting my initial ideas of a Greengrocers or a hospital.

I would really appreciate any ideas, as I am totally lost!!!

JCA

2. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

Hello there,
    I am moving into Year 2 next year and thankfully have quite a large room. I am wanting to create a reading area for the children, which will be used during guided reading and at various other times during the week.
    Since we teach in topics, it would be more beneficial to the children if this corner was tied in with this theme, but I am struggling for ideas. My first topic is 'Healthy Living' and as it is not a 'role play' area, I am discounting my initial ideas of a Greengrocers or a hospital.

I would really appreciate any ideas, as I am totally lost!!!

JCA

3. How about the lighthouse keeper's lunch? (complete with pulley across your classroom). Display to include children's 'healthy' menus for said lunch. ORRRRRRRRRRR . . . Funnybones - label the skeletons with KS1 science body parts etc and create a dark dark room. ORRRRRRRRRRRRR . . . Stone soup. Love that book.

4. The Amazing Book Eating Boy - great book and likes well to healthy living i.e. Don't eat paper! [​IMG]
    Still used it with my year 5s - they love it :) Starts great discussion about what are the 'tastiest' books and best 'food' (reading books) for the brain.
    Hope this helps.