1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading comprehensions - Where are they?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mprimaryz, Feb 19, 2011.

1. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Hi folks,

Does anyone know where to get hold of some reading comprehensions for year 3. I want to use them in guided reading and would prefer them to be fairly structured so I can level the children etc. I've been doing guided reading etc and focussing in on different AFs but I would like something a little more regimented and concrete to go along with my teacher assessments. I have got one for year 3 from st josephs web site but having trouble finding more.

2. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Hi folks,

Does anyone know where to get hold of some reading comprehensions for year 3. I want to use them in guided reading and would prefer them to be fairly structured so I can level the children etc. I've been doing guided reading etc and focussing in on different AFs but I would like something a little more regimented and concrete to go along with my teacher assessments. I have got one for year 3 from st josephs web site but having trouble finding more.

3. You should really benchmark the children each term... this will give you their reading book level, NC reading level and their reading age.

4. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Well I do benchmark them but I'm looking for new/other ways of doing so. That's like telling me I need to teach because I'm a teacher. Cheers for the advice!

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

6. I really like these http://www.hopscotchbooks.com/literacy/comprehension/cat_54.html
    although they do not assess.

For guided reading, I created my own online tests for each book, having a numer of questions, going from simple text retrieval to inferenceand then interpretation of authorial intent. They were all on our school moodle.
    Shareable to anyone who has a moodle!! email for details. gertie at grumbles.me.uk

7. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Thanks, I'll check them out now

8. Just ordered two of the Hopscotch comprehension books - they look great! I think they will be very handy for guided reading in the run up to SATs.

9. Benchmark against what?

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I assumed the poster's school use PM Benchmarking (could be wrong) look and guess

11. Yes we do Msz. OP, I wasn't being funny. There are some schools that only benchmark at the start and end of the academic year. Don't be so uppity.

12. Yes I was assuming that was the case. The PM benchmarking kit is designed (by PM) to assess which PM reading scheme level a child should be reading. This scheme relies on repetitive / predictable text, repeated "sight words" and picture clues. The Benchmark involves a child reading levelled books from the kit until you find one that s/he can read with 95% accuracy. It also involves a sort of "miscue analysis" most of which looks at how "well" a child is guessing words using pictures / context / first letter / etc. How you think this gives NC level and reading age is beyond me. This nonsense is spouted by the ECaR / Reading Recovery people

13. It is a useful tool, not the holy grail.

14. You said it gives a NC reading level and a reading age. It does not, whatever ECaR "experts" may say.

15. It does give you a NC level and reading age. [​IMG] If you disagree with it, then that's your problem.