1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading comprehensions in-line with 2014 curriculum.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tessotd, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Tessotd

Tessotd New commenter

We are looking for reading comprehensions which are in-line with the expectations in the 2014 curriculum. We don't want any nasty surprises at the end of key stage two and want our tracking to be as accurate as possible.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Theresa.

2. chloef23

chloef23 New commenter

Avoid ******.
    Although it's sobering, the density of text they provide is probably accurate given what is expected by the end of Y6; however, the questions are poor. Too often they are ambiguous and also leave the children very little room to answer: two squashed lines to write a supposed 3 marker. For Y5s, we're considering using past reading papers from the old style curriculum to assess but are still looking for something better to use throughout the junior school.

Tessotd likes this.
  3. chloef23

chloef23 New commenter

I don't know why it's blanked out what I wrote... How about this:
    ________, _______, little star. How I wonder what you are etc. etc.
    I'm sure that should be clear enough ;)

Tessotd likes this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Yes, we are also using old KS2 reading papers for practise and assessment for Y5. They're not ideal, but we haven't yet found anything better. CGP are useful for Y6 pre-SATs practise.

5. Leicester_Vics

Leicester_Vics New commenter

I find texts on Classroom Secrets extremely useful. It is a subscription site so I know that sometimes puts people off but I find the guided reading packs really useful. I use them for teaching shared reading rather than guided. The texts are updated frequently with current topics (for example, I used one on Wednesday about the GE2017). Questions are differentiated too if you needs that.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Someone posted about this site on FB earlier and I've just signed up. The reading stuff looks fab.
    In fact almost the whole site is reading comprehensions, even when you click on 'topics' wondering what there might be on eg Vikings, you get more comprehensions. The differentiation is excellent.
    Can 't believe I've not seen it before.

Leicester_Vics likes this.
  7. Leicester_Vics

Leicester_Vics New commenter

I signed up to it a couple of years ago and I must admit that I didn't use it very much. There wasn't masses on there back then. Then a payment was taken from my bank the following year as I'd apparently signed up using an annual direct debit! I went back to the website to cancel it but saw how many more resources there were. Last year, the early morning tasks were a god send for extra little bits of revision in the run up to SATs.

I definitely find it most helpful for reading activities but this year I've also used the editing tasks with my Y6 children as they struggled with editing their own work so this extra practise supported them massively.

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I have mentioned the site on here before. I think it's an excellent site with lots of resources ( although I wish they would sort the search facility out!) It's fantastic for independent activities following on from a guided reading session, the comprehension questions, spelling and grammar questions are fab. I'm not sure why it's so little known. I don't like paying for too many resources but this site has been worth it!

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I knew I'd heard of it before, just not done anything with the knowledge.

It is a naff website in terms of look and search features, but seems to have very good resources for good old fashioned learning. No gimmicks or faffing, but excellent.

My boys will love it next year...might even try some of the bits this year, even though I never like to introduce new things in the last half term.

10. efm

efm New commenter

Has anyone tried the nfer assessments?

11. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Reading Detectives by Rachel Clarke. Keen Kite Publications. Excellent. Y3 Y4 Y5 and Y6. Great texts and challenging questions. Really good.

12. qforshort

qforshort New commenter

Nfer are ok but we found them a bit generous, whereas Rising Stars....let's just say lots of teachers breaking out in a cold sweat as they marked them for their end-of-year assessment...very difficult but, given 2016 Y6 reading paper, maybe more in line with what you want? Send an email to some local schools you have a good relationship with and ask if anyone can lend a copy of these products or anything else you could have a look at.

Tessotd likes this.
  13. Nash35

Nash35 New commenter

We have been using Star Reading and Maths (Renaissance Learning), it was spot on as much as 98% to the KS2 results for our children. We are able to test as much as we like throughout the year. This is also working well for progress measurement in house. Our teachers not only get the results right a way, but also see next steps to plan against.

14. Tessotd

Tessotd New commenter

Thanks everyone! I have been using old papers to give the children experience and I have used Classroom secrets for guided reading activities. Both of these are very useful in terms of preparation. Interesting to hear that ******* is best avoided and that NfeR are too generous. I haven't looked at Star Reading and Rising Stars - will go and have a look now!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  15. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

We use PIRA (Rising Stars) for termly assessments and they are tough. The upside is that they have a free online assessment package from which you can track progress in tiny increments - very important for LA readers.

16. abbymanton

abbymanton New commenter

We'd used rising stars once and scraped it for testbase ones which are much better