1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

reading comprehension starter

Discussion in 'English' started by amybee1, Nov 4, 2016.

1. amybee1

amybee1 New commenter

I am doing a year 5 reading comprehension lessons. The main activity is reading a piece of text in pairs, and answering questions eg. how does harry feel, and giving an example of a sentence in the text that implies this.

The plenary is going to be sharing some of our ideas, discussing which words give us the clue.

My question is, does anyone have an idea for an engaging reading starter that would set the children up nicely for the main activity?

Thank you

2. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

I'd do something like get them to find the definitions for particular words in the passage beforehand as it would get them practising using dictionaries and they would be able to understand any tricky words before they read them, particularly with the way the KS2 Reading was set up last year.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Try doing a Race it and Read activity.

You hand out the printed text, face down. Children told they may turn over and have a maximum of 10 mins to find some key words, which they then highlight. (Use just one paragraph which uses some of the key words.) They put their hand up when they've found all 110/15 words and then look in a dictionary for meanings.