1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading comprehension - please help

Discussion in 'English' started by Teacher-in-Training42, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Teacher-in-Training42

Teacher-in-Training42 New commenter

Hi

I'm planning on providing the students with a holiday brochure and then asking them to choose one that they want to answer the questions for.

How many questions do you think would be suitable for a description of one holiday place?

also has anyone go suggestions on what they could do after they have answered them questions...I was thinking they could write a short blog on if they would want to go there etc..or do it as like a Facebook post as if they have already been there? Has anyone got any other ideas? It should be suitable for students with learning difficulties aged 16. (there is only 1 student). She is working at Entry 3.

Any help would be appreciated

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

What is it you want the pupil to be learning/practising?

3. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

T-inT 43. You should have a scheme of work. You should be planning your lessons with learning Outcomes. you should be aiming to pass a Functional Skills exam. When writing a lesson plan you should be stating how this fits into your sow and what the formative and summative assessment will be. It would have been rather nice if you had been provided with some resources. Hey ho - planning lessons from scratch means that you will be well prepared for next year.
    I am not sure what level E3 is.(KS2? KS3?) However, I would suggest that you look at primary resources on TES, perhaps someone can tell you which KS is equal to E3. I have already directed you to skillsworkshop where the reading and writing resources for FS are provided together with the level which they are aimed at.
    I think you are struggling. Do not try to reinvent the wheel. Ask your mentor for advice and support. If you ae at Uni ask your fellow students what resources they are using.

4. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Here is a lesson for you. I'm not sure if I should have uploaded it or not. All of the LOs are included.

Attached Files:

5. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Here is something topical for this week.

Attached Files:

6. Teacher-in-Training42

reading comprehension for the task I stated in the description about the holiday brochures...for the second task I want it to be a writing task though.

7. Teacher-in-Training42

Google said rednose day this year is the 24th March 2017?..it's November ?

8. Teacher-in-Training42

its ks 2 I think. its for an obs so I wanted it to be different

9. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Sorry. Children in Need is on Friday 17th November. There are probably children in need materials somewhere out there.
    Don't try to over think your obs at this stage. You cannot tick every standard in one obs. I am assuming that this is your first or second obs. I would be concentrating on the lesson plan and timing at this stage. This brings us back to the learning outcomes and assessment techniques.
    If you study the materials which I have posted you will see what the LOs are and how they can be achieved. Group work and poster work is good for low ability students it will keep them engaged and (hopefully) there will be no poor behavior.